YouTube Marathon in honor of Apollo 11

xPDxTV

I celebrated the Apollo 11 landing one day early; I finally beat BARIS (Buzz Aldrin\'s Race into Space)

Granted, Deke Slayton was the first man on the moon (Who cares that he was grounded for medical reasons at the time?)

Also might rewatch Apollo 13 tomorrow too.

The qoute 'The Eagle has landed' was true in a metaphorical sense as well-Neil Armstrong is an Eagle Scout. So not only did the Eagle(LEM) land, but the Eagle(scout) piloting it landed as well.

I\'d like to make a quick correction to that statement. Neil Armstrong was the commander of the mission. Edwin Aldrin was the LEM pilot.

Nice job on the videos!

I still get goosebumps thinking of the Apollo 11 landing.

'Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.'

Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah moments like that are truly awe inspiring aren\'t they? :)

I\'d like to make a quick correction to that statement. Neil Armstrong was the commander of the mission. Edwin Aldrin was the LEM pilot.

I know Neil Armstrong was the commander but I could\'ve sworn he also landed the LEM... there was that whole thing about trying to find a good landing site, and running low on fuel... and some sort of computer warning... and I always pictured Neil in the pilot\'s seat (I say seat, I know they were stood up)... that must be for a reason.

Also, the guy you quoted never said Neil was the pilot... EDIT: Yes he did... sorry, I\'m stupid and can\'t read.

I know Neil Armstrong was the commander but I could\'ve sworn he also landed the LEM... there was that whole thing about trying to find a good landing site, and running low on fuel... and some sort of computer warning... and I always pictured Neil in the pilot\'s seat (I say seat, I know they were stood up)... that must be for a reason.

Also, the guy you quoted never said Neil was the pilot... EDIT: Yes he did... sorry, I\'m stupid and can\'t read.

That could be the case that Armstrong took over piloting the LEM, but i cannot find any information that offically states that Aldrin did not pilot the LEM all the way to the ground. With that in mind unless i can find a reliable source i have to believe that Aldrin did pilot the LEM from start to finish.

That could be the case that Armstrong took over piloting the LEM, but i cannot find any information that offically states that Aldrin did not pilot the LEM all the way to the ground. With that in mind unless i can find a reliable source i have to believe that Aldrin did pilot the LEM from start to finish.

Uh... You\'re wrong... Aldrin was the Lunar Module Pilot, but that doesn\'t mean he piloted the Lunar Module. He simply looked at the computer and gave information readouts to Neil. Neil had control the ENTIRE time the computer didn\'t. The only Lunar Module Pilot to every actually fly the LM was Alan Bean on Apollo 12. On the far side, Pete Conrad let him take control for a little bit.

He did land the LM. Aldrin gave LPD readouts and AGS and PGNS agreements with velocity and altitude, but he didn\'t have the stick at all. The computer was giving them 1202\'s and 1201\'s. It\'s a program alarm 'Executive Overflow' that means the LM\'s computer had to process so many tasks at once that it pushed a few back. It was later determined this was caused by the fact that Aldrin had left the rendezvous and landing radar on at once. They were running very low and landed with 18 seconds of fuel, approximately. The readout was showing that they had absolutely no fuel. It\'s like driving your car on E.

The next call would have been at 10 seconds and it would have been Charlie Duke saying, 'Bingo and then \'Abort\''. A 'fire-in-the-hole' abort would be triggered at that point.

So yes, you are correct. Neil on the left, Buzz on the right. Left is always the pilot\'s 'seat' in a spacecraft.

--EDIT--

As for the reason why they were running so low, there was a small bit of air in the access tunnel at LM undocking, giving a slightly larger ejection force, which put them about four minutes or so ahead of schedule when they started the PDI. The autopilot compensated and started to bring them in as close to the targeted landing site as it could. Neil, however, noticed that there were much too many boulders out the window and decided to switch off the AP and go to manual. He pitched forward and gave it about 50 feet per second of horizontal velocity to overshoot the boulder field, wasting a lot of fuel. They landed just over Little West Crater. The landing site can be located in Google Moon.

He did land the LM. Aldrin gave LPD readouts and AGS and PGNS agreements with velocity and altitude, but he didn\'t have the stick at all. The computer was giving them 1202\'s and 1201\'s. It\'s a program alarm 'Executive Overflow' that means the LM\'s computer had to process so many tasks at once that it pushed a few back. It was later determined this was caused by the fact that Aldrin had left the rendezvous and landing radar on at once. They were running very low and landed with 18 seconds of fuel, approximately. The readout was showing that they had absolutely no fuel. It\'s like driving your car on E.

The next call would have been at 10 seconds and it would have been Charlie Duke saying, 'Bingo and then \'Abort\''. A 'fire-in-the-hole' abort would be triggered at that point.

So yes, you are correct. Neil on the left, Buzz on the right. Left is always the pilot\'s 'seat' in a spacecraft.

--EDIT--

As for the reason why they were running so low, there was a small bit of air in the access tunnel at LM undocking, giving a slightly larger ejection force, which put them about four minutes or so ahead of schedule when they started the PDI. The autopilot compensated and started to bring them in as close to the targeted landing site as it could. Neil, however, noticed that there were much too many boulders out the window and decided to switch off the AP and go to manual. He pitched forward and gave it about 50 feet per second of horizontal velocity to overshoot the boulder field, wasting a lot of fuel. They landed just over Little West Crater. The landing site can be located in Google Moon.

That\'s really cool information, i still can\'t find it anywwhere.

Could you list me your source? That would be awesome Thanks!

July 20th\'s Video is also up, check it out on the Videos Post (First Page - Second Post)

Uh... You\'re wrong... Aldrin was the Lunar Module Pilot, but that doesn\'t mean he piloted the Lunar Module. He simply looked at the computer and gave information readouts to Neil. Neil had control the ENTIRE time the computer didn\'t. The only Lunar Module Pilot to every actually fly the LM was Alan Bean on Apollo 12. On the far side, Pete Conrad let him take control for a little bit.

If i\'m wrong then correct me with facts. Give me a reliable source to your information such as a officially sponsored NASA webpage. Unless you can 'prove' your statement with a facts please don\'t just go around saying people are wrong without a way to back up your claim.

If i am wrong that is fine but you need proof of your claim. I don\'t think that it\'s too much to ask for.

Watch the official Apollo 11 descent footage. Aldrin calls out numbers while Neil pilots...

Seriously, I\'m not making this stuff up. I know practically everything about it...

The LMP\'s job was to stand on the right side of the LM and look at the DSKY and read

the registers to the Commander, who actually had control of the craft. In Neil\'s window was a

thing called the LPD. Landing Point Designator. Based on Aldrin\'s calls, he would know where the LM

would be coming down.

Watch 'From the Earth to the Moon' and notice that Neil has the stick... I don\'t understand why you

don\'t believe me when I\'ve done extensive study on this. The simple fact is that Neil had control of the LM when the computer didn\'t.

--EDIT--

Here\'s a good visual representation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXT96N1YfbQ

It\'s taken quite a bit of time to be able to post this update here.

July 21st Video is done and ready to be viewed (First Page Second Post)

Also keep a look out because soon my Season 1 Finale will be uploaded today aswell! It\'s got my first .16 Mun EVA and 'Landing'! Not everything goes to plan and so begins the story of 'Jeb\'s' Crazy Plan!

Should be finished uploading in about 2-3 hours from the time of this post.

The last episode in my YouTube marathon in honor of Apollo 11 has been uploaded!

Check out my very first Mun Walk! (First Page Second Post)

Nothing ever goes to plan in PD\'s KSP! What will Jeb do to save his friends?!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.