Reusable Heat Shields

Qwarkk

I'm looking for a mod that would add reusable heat shields to the game, so my lander designs can perform potentially infinite atmospheric entries with minimal maintenance other than refueling. However, ablative heat shields run out of ablator and the inflatable heat shield cannot be deflated for re-use. 

As an added bonus something like this would be awesome - where the shield opens to allow engines to fire before / after atmospheric entry so that the heat shield doesn't need to be jettisoned. Unfortunately this mod was never completed.  

Any suggestions much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

try asking in the thread below maybe. It has a heatshield, but not quite what you're looking for.

The problem with your suggestion is Ablator, the resource, is not one that can be transfered/moved/pumped by default. Changing that is very easy to do though.

You could then refill it using a resource container full of Ablator. You can also change the inflatable heatshield to be deflated easily enough.

15 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

try asking in the thread below maybe. It has a heatshield, but not quite what you're looking for.

The problem with your suggestion is Ablator, the resource, is not one that can be transfered/moved/pumped by default. Changing that is very easy to do though.

You could then refill it using a resource container full of Ablator. You can also change the inflatable heatshield to be deflated easily enough.

Thanks for the suggestion - I happen to use this mod anyway! I ended up changing the inflatable heatshield to be deflatable - as you say it was pretty easy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.