Just two small gripes

RocketBlam

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

Exactly my point.   It doesn't need much, but it does need more than 0.

Missing my point a touch.

How much do you think is enough to make it useful as a satellite but not enough for an upper stage? Because are you sure you can set it high enough to be useful for your satellite and low enough to not be useful for an upper stage?

Because I'm not certain it is possible.

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

Historical accuracy is irrelevant if it hinders gameplay.  KSP is not the real world, it does not directly translate into the real world scenarios.

So you focus on the first statement, and skip the second? Did you miss that I said it makes a degree of sense from a game play progression too?

Because I said that...

There's a reason that RP-0 isn't the only one to start you off without reaction wheels on your first probe-core. Better Than Starting Manned (rather unrealistic, but game play progression focused) and Yemo's SETI both do so. It's because ubiquitous reaction wheels, especially the high powered stock ones, render the other forms of attitude controls much less important.

Especially since the smallest reaction wheel unit is lighter than a set of 4 linear rcs thrusters. And uses a readily renewable resource, especially if its on a probe, as you will tend to use some solar panels anyway. 
Where is the progression here, again?

I usually launch 3 or 4 of them in an early career. "Fly by" and satellite contracts can be good early sources of funds, and you don't want to use a Kerbal for those. Once you get the next core though, it is entirely useless.

I stick Stayputniks atop command pods to run early-career rescue and tourist missions. The pods can still provide torque, after all, as long as there's something to command them. They even have power to keep the probe alive. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.