Questions on a computer.

Maxed-Rockets

So, I am looking at getting a new computer, but I have been out of the market for a while (my computer is very kerbal at this point) and I am not to sure. How much should I pay for a computer like this?

Dual Socket, 2 x Quad Core Intel Server Class CPU (8 cores total), 16 GB RAM - 3 available

Processor : 2 x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5410 2.33GHz 1333MHz 771pin 12MB CPU OR 2 x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5320 Clovertown 1.86GHz LGA 771 80W

Motherboard : ASUS DSBF-DE Dual LGA 771 Intel 5000P MCH SSI EEB 3.61

Computer Memory : 8 x Wintec 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Video Cards : Integrated / Basic

Computer Case : Antec Performance One P190 or LIAN LI PC-A71B (black) full tower

Power supply: Antec dual PSUs (1200 watt total) in P190 case or CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX ATX 750 Watt in Lian Li

harddrive : RAID SCSI disks in Hot Swap Cage. Most are 5 x 18 GB 15k RPM in RAID 5. Includes Dell Perc 4 / LSI Raid Card.

cd rom : DVD-RW

Would I have room for upgrading later too? Help me KSP forums, you are my only hope.

That computer just sounds like a server, hence 'Quad Core Intel Server Class CPU'

It looks like it\'s all processing power, and no GPU: hence 'Integrated/Basic'

When it comes to gaming, your rig will lean way more on the GPU than your CPU.

It\'s the graphics that cause lag, not so much the physics these days.

If you\'re looking for a decent gaming rig, I want to ask you this

Are you going to build it yourself, or just buy it built?

This will affect how in-depth I\'ll search for stuff, and it will affect your options.

I\'d suggest a dual core cpu (i5 processor or the like) and then a good Video Card (GPU).

I have a Radeon 6850, and I love it.

That computer just sounds like a server, hence 'Quad Core Intel Server Class CPU'

It looks like it\'s all processing power, and no GPU: hence 'Integrated/Basic'

When it comes to gaming, your rig will lean way more on the GPU than your CPU.

It\'s the graphics that cause lag, not so much the physics these days.

If you\'re looking for a decent gaming rig, I want to ask you this

Are you going to build it yourself, or just buy it built?

This will affect how in-depth I\'ll search for stuff, and it will affect your options.

I\'d suggest a dual core cpu (i5 processor or the like) and then a good Video Card (GPU).

I have a Radeon 6850, and I love it.

I have some experience building, I am looking more for an up to date barebones rig.

I have a 1 gb graphics card I could throw in there, and I want to do some CAD with it, not just KSP.

Ooooh okay, then yeah, that would be a wicked CPU for rendering lol

Upgrading really depends on the Mobo. All the sites I check out lead to Newegg, and the pics have broken links for me so I can\'t really look at it.

Reading the specs, the one thing that jumped out at me was that it uses DDR2 RAM

Other than that, I think the PSU might be a little overkill. But that\'s your choice and not really a problem so much as a 'If you want to spend the extra money, that\'s fine by me'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.