Swivel VTOL Plane: In Space!

A while back I posted a stock swivel jet VTOL plane (no infernal robotics mod used). It was a nice craft which failed to reach my original goal: achieve orbit with a swivel VTOL engine. The problem was my inability to dock in atmosphere to the main fuselage of a plane to gain access to more fuel. I do not know how but after many failed designs I got one model that docks fairly easily. I was unable to replicate it when trying to improve on this (my ultimate goal was a craft utilizing nothing but swivel engines).

Introducing the Altamira MK4I (you can see how many iterations it took to get this working). Barely able to reach LKO, it can take off vertically and dock its VTOL engine to switch to horizontal mode and get just enough fuel to stay in orbit. This is a fairly difficult space plane to master. I only managed to reach orbit once. However with a bit of excess oxidizer left over, it can be reduced to save weight and increase the odds of success.

Balanced by a single vector engine for VTOL, the craft chooses its own launch trajectory. Any attempt to wrestle the craft's yaw during the critical take off stage will result in the vector engine burning up the twin tail booms behind it. Shallow ascents are to be avoided if one does not want to burn up in atmosphere (except for when maximizing the scram jet momentum). This craft ascends steeply and quickly once it's set to horizontal mode so you can get to cruising altitude in no time.

The horizontal latch can be doubled as a docking port to attach to space stations or other craft with narrow docking arms. After refuelling in orbit, it's ready to go on to other worlds (not tested yet).

Despite 2 small docking bays that hold the VTOL engine & fuel, this craft doesn't do anything as it was designed for demonstration purposes only but that doesn't mean small science experiments can't be crammed inside.

http://imgur.com/a/nNmOI

C57E905746FB365E29DA9284110E65E25B3A5160

341E0F1412A542CB226E0CBF2F7AFFE10842B89F

2B53C7F99B8AB8865AF75D023243068D9A56DDB0BF2FC3D737AE03670D23ECC513477231B49BE503

F57489599422569CB32F410AC79AD86954C3D0D5

914F71A357B6AF54994C057EF4ACCCAC5CBF7B21

82335910306E58A7924CCF971D12D30DF78238E6

965371F272633EA02E6B287FC2EE1C5C05E6475B

Edited by evader
ImgUr not working

5 hours ago, evader said:

A while back I posted a stock swivel jet VTOL plane (no infernal robotics mod used). It was a nice craft which failed to reach my original goal: achieve orbit with a swivel VTOL engine. The problem was my inability to dock in atmosphere to the main fuselage of a plane to gain access to more fuel. I do not know how but after many failed designs I got one model that docks fairly easily. I was unable to replicate it when trying to improve on this (my ultimate goal was a craft utilizing nothing but swivel engines).

Introducing the Altamira MK4I (you can see how many iterations it took to get this working). Barely able to reach LKO, it can take off vertically and dock it's VTOL engine to switch to horizontal mode and get just enough fuel to stay in orbit. This is a fairly difficult space plane to master. I only managed to reach orbit once. However with a bit of excess oxidizer left over, it can be reduced to save weight and increase the odds of success.

Balanced by a single vector engine for VTOL, the craft chooses its own launch trajectory. Any attempt to wrestle the craft's yaw during the critical take off stage will result in the vector engine burning up the twin tail booms behind it. Shallow ascents are to be avoided if one does not want to burn up in atmosphere (except for when maximizing the scram jet momentum). This craft ascends steeply and quickly once it's set to horizontal mode so you can get to cruising altitude in no time.

The horizontal latch can be doubled as a docking port to attach to space stations or other craft with narrow docking arms. After refuelling in orbit, it's ready to go on to worlds (not tested yet).

Despite 2 small docking bays that hold the VTOL engine & fuel, this craft doesn't do anything as it was designed for demonstration purposes only but that doesn't mean small science experiments can't be crammed inside.

http://imgur.com/a/nNmOI

Nice craft, but... Altamira? Where are you from, exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

Rune. I've been there, twice. :wink:

Not Spain if that's what you were thinking. I choose spacecraft names from the 1st random source that comes up in my head. I think I was watching a documentary about some caveman paintings and selected this name without realizing where I got it from.

It just sounds good like something that would be used for a car model (like Nissan Altima).:D

Edited by evader

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.