Kerbal leaves seat and end up close to other ship?

magnemoe

This was serious weird. 
Kerbal leaves seat on the orbit capable rover, 0.0 relative speed between mothership and rover.
MHQPHr1h.png

Click leave seat and he end up on the backside of mothership. 
FaqNxNrh.png
It first I tought it was an kerbal on the mothersip who had eva, however all four is pressent and one is missing on rover.

Repeated itself on second kerbal, now rover and mothership was connected with an kas wire for refueling. 

I've seen this same issue today on a video by HMV Plays (his Asteroid Driver on Dres). It seems to be due to having a large object above the seat. Of course when you exit a seat the game has to look for a place to put the Kerbal, but if there are large collision meshes nearby... I suppose the game sees them as much larger than they are, and places the Kerbal in a bizzare position beyond the object.

As far as I can tell, if you have a Kerbal in a command chair and any ship part is above that Kerbal's head then KSP will spawn the Kerbal on top of the structure above you when you leave the chair - no matter how far away that part is.

I found this very frustrating when I was trying to build command chair operated craft that I wanted to dock inside of cargo bays. If the bay is open they will exit the chair just fine. If the bay is closed they will spawn on top of it outside. The same happens with any ship part over the head of the Kerbal no matter how small or far away.

Edited by HvP

This issue caused quite a bit of concern after a fuel truck trundled up to my heavy rocket on the launch pad, and the hose-wrangler kerbal found himself ~50m up in the air.

There was some very careful climbing around some fuel tanks, down a ladder to the drill level, and then carefully around and down again for a slide down the side of the boosters, using their helmet to slow the fall against various widgets sticking out before landing back on the launchpad.

The second time it happened, the unlucky kerbal simply waited for someone else to hook up the hoses, and then got aboard the capsule for a game of hose-squeezing and musical chairs.

Nowadays, KSC just pays for fuel in the VAB to save the hassle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.