RemoteTech connection issue

this is what my current relay network looks like: http://m.imgur.com/a/2V3fE

inner triangle (Relay Network Crete): All sats have omni to cover all of kerbin/ nearby space.

Outer two sats (Relay Network Andros): Both have omnis so they have connection with the 'Crete' relay network. Both have 3 DTSM1s pointed at the Mun, Minmus and Active vessel.

Probe within the triangle: Moon flyby mission: has an omni and one DTSM1. When pointing the DTSM1 at the one of the 'Andros' relay sats (and turning off the omni) it will keep connection, but when I target 'Kerbin' instead of a specific sat it will lose connection.

What am I doing wrong?

If your Omni antenna is off, then targeting Kerbin with the directional antenna will only work if the Kerbal Space Center is almost directly below your vessel. The directional antenna will point towards the center of Kerbin, but has only a limited cone in which it will pick up signals. So if you are too close to Kerbin, that cone will not cover all of Kerbin's visible surface. I believe (though I admittedly haven't played with RemoteTech since 0.90) that you need to specifically target KSC, not just Kerbin in general, if you want to keep a connection to it with a directional antenna while it is anywhere above the horizon.

(Of course, if KSC goes below the horizon, no antenna in existance will let you get a connection.)

Edited by Streetwind

It does ineed appear (hard to tell exactly from the image) that the problem is like Streetwind said (it isn't necessary though to target KSC specifically). The directional can't "see" through planets so if KSC is below the horizon or plain at the other side of Kerbin) then you need the omni to link up with the hub networks unless one of the hub sats are within the dish cone and in range for its own omni antenna.

Edited by LN400

17 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

If your Omni antenna is off, then targeting Kerbin with the directional antenna will only work if the Kerbal Space Center is almost directly below your vessel. The directional antenna will point towards the center of Kerbin, but has only a limited cone in which it will pick up signals. So if you are too close to Kerbin, that cone will not cover all of Kerbin's visible surface. I believe (though I admittedly haven't played with RemoteTech since 0.90) that you need to specifically target KSC, not just Kerbin in general, if you want to keep a connection to it with a directional antenna while it is anywhere above the horizon.

(Of course, if KSC goes below the horizon, no antenna in existance will let you get a connection.)

Targeting Mission Control failed.

12 minutes ago, LN400 said:

It does ineed appear (hard to tell exactly from the image) that the problem is like Streetwind said (it isn't necessary though to target KSC specifically). The directional can't "see" through planets so if KSC is below the horizon or plain at the other side of Kerbin) then you need the omni to link up with the hub networks unless one of the hub sats are within the dish cone and in range for its own omni antenna.

I thought targeting kerbin would give you the nearest connection (around kerbin) Although I do have connection with the Andros I dont have connection with 'kerbin'.

Nevermind, like mentoinedd before there weren't any crafts in my line of sight. Problem solved.

Edited by ToukieToucan

2 minutes ago, ToukieToucan said:

I thought targeting kerbin would give you the nearest connection, Although I do have connection with the Andros I dont have connection with 'kerbin'.

With the dish antenna, only the antennas within the cone, within range AND not behind any horizon can be connected to. With omnis, it's within range AND not obstructed by any horizon. Once a connection is possible, the signal is routed along the shortest path back to KSC.

You can toggle linkage to see which links are up and which are down. Note the checkbox with a dish and rod antenna symbol on it. There are several overlays through that button so click through them all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.