Hard: Launch into stable Kerbin orbit 3 times with landings in-between, then land on Mun, then land on Kerbin again

Challenge:

With a single rocket (no refuelling, etc) complete the following objectives:

1. Launch into stable orbit around Kerbin.
  2. Land on Kerbin.
  3. Launch into stable orbit around Kerbin.
  4. Land or Kerbin.
  5. Launch into stable orbit around Kerbin.
  6. Fly to Mun.
  7. Land on Mun.
  8. Fly to Kerbin.
  9. Land on Kerbin.

Rules:

• The entire rocket must come down to the surface each time. No leaving behind a station that you can re-dock to and refuel. Don't use a refueling truck on the ground, etc.
  • You'll probably need quick saves, but bonus points if you do it all in one go.
  • If your rocket is super heavy and lands in the water, you don't need to wait for it to sink, just blast off as soon as it hits the water.
  • Only use stock engines, parachutes, heat shields. Any non-stock parts used should not be overpowering, and should have a reasonable stock equivalent. 
  • Post a video or screen shots of your best attempt.

Purpose:

This mission will push the limits of KSP rocket designs, and your piloting skills. I used this challenge to test a KSP mission calculator that I've been working on, and submissions will set a benchmark for future updates. The tool can be found here: https://jsideris.github.io/AdvancedKspMissionCalculator/. I recommend trying the challenge without using the calculator, otherwise we'll all have the same rocket designs. Also, this challenge pushes the limits of the calculator, and there are lots of optimizations you'll need to make on your own anyway.

Feasibility:

I've tested each stage of this challenge independently with different stages of the same rocket launched from the space center, and have confirmed that it is possible (but very difficult) to complete successfully. I'm working on a video. The problem I've had with doing this in one go is that each time I try, something always goes wrong. KSP will crash or lag at a critical moment, or my parachutes will explode my rocket, or the physics get all wonky and my rocket starts oscillating out of control. Anyway, while I fiddle with that, let's see if anyone can beat me to the punch.

Good luck.

Edited by JSideris

Tomorrow I will do this and prove that it's possible. 15000m/s of delta-v should do the trick.

Edit: I was unable to make something which can complete this challenge. The final stages are easy, but the two previous landings make everything incredibly more difficult. I get the feeling I'll be able to complete my grand tour of the extended Kerbol system before I can complete this challenge.

Edited by eloquentJane

Much like Jane said: this will require ~15k delta-v. and I don't know how possible that is because ~12k of it has to be with a TWR>1 which throws out Ion engines and nukes. So the only way I see this working out is a SSTO like creation that stages away empty tanks but uses jets and nukes to get into orbit. But this same creation would have to be able to be able to land vertically on the moon (unless there is a runway on the mun that I am unaware of). This is a pretty difficult challenge but I might give it a try when I get my new PC built

I did a quick try,  I did not really test the parts beforehand so the third Kerbin landing was a bit difficult, I had the landing gears to close together and had to quickload like 20 times... 

I also brought to much fuel, so I did a extra mun landing between the second and third Kerbin ascent.  :)

http://imgur.com/a/PmzUr

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2016 at 11:40 PM, Mesklin said:

Not so quick try, light craft (17.3t), only 2 engines, no quickloads:

http://imgur.com/a/POXOj

d29t59o.jpg

Very nice!!

I've been away a while and didn't notice people were trying this.

I'll try to finally complete this challenge today with a blastoff rocket, even though everyone thinks it's impossible. 

Edited by JSideris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.