RSS RO "Can't get it up"

Hi friends. I just joined and this is my 1st question. My game doesnt crash, i just dont have enough power to orbit.

In unmodded ksp i can launch a rocket/orbit and land a ship on the moon in one go easily, even Duna, so i know how to make an orbit and understand that in RSS RO, its way harder and different.

Now when i install a clean ksp with 1.1.3 RSS/Kopernicus/RO/Tweakscale, i can barely make an orbit using all tricks i know.

I installed a few rocket packs recommended by RO and tried to orbit Saturn V. Never could.

The RSB Atlas V Hsv can barely hover at launchpad. No thrust.

I tried with CKAN INSTALL TOO.

I TRIED IN DIFFERENT  WINDOWS, different computer. Same thing.

I reproduced same rocket as Space Launch system, barely gets to space.

I suspect something wrong with new version.

Edited by Veganbill

Hi, there will come the day that you will get a huge satisfaction from getting into a correct orbit, that's for sure. Stock was easy once you got the basics but RSS + RO, damn it's difficult...

I ended up reading more than playing, anytime I run KSP for the first couple of months :). But when you get everything, t's gonna be really easy to get a good orbit and more, despite how hard it seems... You will have to do a lot of reading and a lot or youtubing...

Be sure to read the RO Wiki https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/False-KSP-Lessons, very very helpfull, especially the part with the delta V, I think it was ferram's launch vehicle.

You will need 10000 dV or more just to orbit. Also a starting TWR of 1.30 - 1.70. Less is underpowered, more is Overpowerd. Both situations are not good. Check your Saturn's dV when building. in total, it should be around 13000 to 17000 with a starting TWR of aroung 1.50. Take apart your Saturn V, stage by stage to better understand the dV of each stage...

Mine is about 16800 dV and 1.56 TWR.

Also, be sure to check the engines from right click on them and hit the engine button. Different variations have different ISPs, anf the same aplies to fuel tanks and fuel... Be sure to match the fuel used to the engine. Just dig around the options and you will get how to do it. (that is if you don't already know ;))

Mechjeb is your friend. Use him... Delta-V stats will help you understand your needs in terms of how many engines you need, more or less fuel etc., when building. They also provide a good info on how much time your engine will run, to achieve the dV it has...

Take proceadural tanks, put some engines, fill 'em up, and rescale to see the dV changes. More engines is not always better... There has to be a balance...

Watch out for your Vertical Speed, Ap and Time to Apospasis <= Very crucial to making a successful orbit...

This is a great video to watch for understanding how to get a propper launch and a propper orbit.

I am playing for about 3 months now, RSS + RO + other compatible mods, and needed a lot of time until I managed to do it properly. Now I am trying to put 3 Communication satelites in Geo Orbit in a Triangle120 Degrees from each other, to make communications ouside earth possible, for my next mission...

Edited by skoy21
corrected some numbers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.