crew reports cannot be directly stored

Something I've just noted on my duna flight. Usually it's not important, but the new antenna system made it a bit of a problem, since the MK1-2 pods antenna (DTS-M1 equivalent) can't get signals to kerbin beacuse of the planetary distance after the IP transfer. Hence I couldn't instantly transmit a crew report.

All science, even eva-reports, can be stored in the pods, just not crew reports, apparently since they got their own single slot when taken (they are listed under 'review report', not 'review stored data'). So if you want to make the next report, e.g. after transitioning from high to low orbit, it will only give you the choice to override the report. You can work around the issue by eva'ing a kerbal, telling him to take all data and then store it again on the pod, which also moves the crew report to the stored data.

Suggestion is of course that it's would be more comfortable to just store crew reports with all other data, eliminating the kinda pointless 'review report' button. The current system kinda feels like an oversight, something done before you could actually move data.

BTW: Additional suggestion: Please add a collect all button to pods, just like they exist on the science container. No reason why pods shouldn't have it if the container does, and it saves you the work of constantly flying around with a kebal to collect science. You'd only need to reset then.

EDIT: Also lol, apparently I can rate my own post. No clue how to remove that one, tho ^^'

Edited by Temeter

Yah, that's always kinda bugged me, too.

FWIW, there's a workaround.  After you take your crew report:  Send out a kerbal on EVA, click on the capsule, choose "Take Data".  It will take all science reports... and the crew report too.  Then click on the pod again and choose "Store Data".  It will re-store all the science data, including the crew-report... except that when it re-stores the crew report, it does so in the "regular science result" bucket.  The one-and-only special "crew report" slot is left empty, which means now you can take another crew report with no problem.

Yes, it's kinda silly, and I'm not proposing that as a rebuttal to your suggestion-- I like your suggestion.  :)  But until and unless the behavior gets changed, at least it's a way of working around it.

This is definitely something that needs to be tweaked, and it's a shame this is an issue that is still within the game. However, thanks to a special portable science container in 1.2, there will be a way to store the crew reports (along with all the other science from the other science parts), thus allowing you to make another report without the need for an EVA. I still don't think this is fixing the issue at hand, but it is a very nice workaround that gets the job done.

46 minutes ago, Snark said:

FWIW, there's a workaround.  After you take your crew report:  Send out a kerbal on EVA, click on the capsule, choose "Take Data".  It will take all science reports... and the crew report too.  Then click on the pod again and choose "Store Data".  It will re-store all the science data, including the crew-report... except that when it re-stores the crew report, it does so in the "regular science result" bucket.  The one-and-only special "crew report" slot is left empty, which means now you can take another crew report with no problem.

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

You can work around the issue by eva'ing a kerbal, telling him to take all data and then store it again on the pod, which also moves the crew report to the stored data.

:cool:

---------------------------------------

5 minutes ago, ChickenNugger429 said:

This is definitely something that needs to be tweaked, and it's a shame this is an issue that is still within the game. However, thanks to a special portable science container in 1.2, there will be a way to store the crew reports (along with all the other science from the other science parts), thus allowing you to make another report without the need for an EVA. I still don't think this is fixing the issue at hand, but it is a very nice workaround that gets the job done.

Yeah, I think I'm just taking the container onto my next manned mission. It's so much easier just to collect stuff by clicking.

Thinking about it, wouldn't it be nice if pods also had an autocollect button? Kinda pointless having a kerbla to do it.

Edited by Temeter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.