IAC Today!

Just now, tater said:

A large issue is the height of the thing, IMO. It's gonna look like old-school notions of space travel.

1952TheMysteryofOtherworldsRevealed15.jp

Unload that puppy with a crane, lol.

Yeah, you gotta wonder if the MCT includes a crane...

If you look at either Mars Direct, or some of the DRM/DRAs from NASA, they hab unit tends to be a squat cylinder (though some designs have biconic vehicles). For any long-term habitation, you'd want some soil on top for shielding. I suppose that's the "flat pack" cargo. The 0.38g will certainly help. I'd presume they'd have a crane with a gondola for crew transfer to the ground. I'd still expect some sort of ladder just in case, though.

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

The next president may very well take up that offer anyways and mothball SLS....

The President has about as much control over the Senate Launch System as you or I do.   And about one ten thousandth of the desire to do anything about.

11 hours ago, Nefrums said:

Digging a hole and building in that makes no sense.  It will be simpler to build on the surface with some form of locally made mars concrete and just cover that with more mars dirt if needed.

Depends on the stability of the soil, what you have to dig and a number of other conditions. If a large trenching machine can be assembled on site...then you have an easy way to get sub surface habitation. 

7 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

Bravo, Elon. It was really Impressively.

Especially this:

Rb6JgLd.png

Remind me again, is Elon Musk a Kerbal Space Program fan? Because that rocket looks very Kerbal.

MOAR BOOSTERS!!!

Edited by ProtoJeb21

On 28.09.2016 at 9:25 PM, monstah said:

That bothered me when Elon said it. Sure, the ships are Earthbound anyway, but adding mass to them costs fuel, and exponentially so. "Nothing is for free" is the only law of economics/society that is actually enforced by nature.

Actually, it will be almost free for up to about 200+ tons of payload (including cargo and returning passengers)

Given liftoff delta-v of 3800 m/s, transfer 2500 m/s, and Earth landing (pessimistically) 500 m/s, it will be able to carry about 228649 kilograms back with no additional refueling on Mars orbit:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9.8+*+382+*+ln((2100000+%2B+x)+%2F+(150000+%2B+x))+%3D+(6300+%2B+500)

Edited by Eklykti

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.