Penalties for leaving debris in orbit in careermode

On 9/30/2016 at 1:29 AM, TheCardinal said:

Perhaps it has been suggested before, if so, sorry for my shortsightedness.

Every furfilled contract awards a financial reward. My suggestion is to give a penaltie when debris is left in (a stable) orbit. The penalty should depend on the weight of each piece of debris. If a lot of debris is left in orbit, the fine should even be larger than the awarded amount.

Set the number of debris to infinite in game settings and face the consequences yourself.  What other penalty do you need?

P.S.  And never use the "terminate" button.

Edited by Tau137

10 hours ago, tjt said:

My current annoyance is stage separators...they're really useful, but all those little rings floating around...

Use decouplers instead(they stick to the old stage at least...just double check the painted-on arrow one more time). But yes, the stage will still be floating around though :/

I would not like it. In my opinion there could be more realism based mechanism to punish the player. For example some kind of volume cells based system. Debris left in orbit would increase the debris density during long period, which would diffuse during time in larger area. Crafts would have probability of the damage depending on the debris density of the cell they are. Debris densities would need updates only every now or then and crafts could just check the precalculated density in the cell they are, so it would not be a significant CPU load. It would also be very easy to disable if someone wants easier game. But it would need some time to program and violate against rules which forbids random events.

2 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Use decouplers instead(they stick to the old stage at least...just double check the painted-on arrow one more time). But yes, the stage will still be floating around though :/

thanks for the suggestion. I was separating between two stages that I wanted to keep. Neither was the lift stage, so I needed the decoupler blown clear entirely. Ended up just joining using a docking port instead.

3 minutes ago, tjt said:

thanks for the suggestion. I was separating between two stages that I wanted to keep. Neither was the lift stage, so I needed the decoupler blown clear entirely. Ended up just joining using a docking port instead.

I am getting this idea about adding a tiny probe+solar panels and 2seperatons to each "ejectable" piece of every rocket. This way, you will mostly have enough dv to hit some planet/moon

I guess 1.2 will show if it is viable

Edited by Blaarkies

19 hours ago, tjt said:

My current annoyance is stage separators...they're really useful, but all those little rings floating around...

Indeed, they are annoying. Just performed a mission around the Mun to setup three relay satellites at 250 km altitude. Got 'em almost perfectly spaced (period of all three are showing the same time down to the millisecond and that time is only 1 millisecond away from my desired period. As mentioned, an almost perfect mission. Only 1 problem.... On the circularization burn for the last relay, my satellite had a too close encounter with one of the stage separator (had two of the darn things floating around right in front of my bus from the previous relays) from the previously inserted relay that destroyed one of its solar panels. Thankfully, the relay had more than enough panels so I can still use it. Have decided that on future relay insertions I won't deploy the solar panels until after I've performed the circularization burn for the relay. After all, they have plenty of battery capacity and ought to last long enough for a mere 30 to 100 m/s burn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.