Paid expansions and previous statements RE paid expansions

dlrk

Just throwing this out there:

Given how little I paid for KSP and the ridiculous number of hours I've spent with it I'd quite happily give Squad some more money, even if I got zip in return. I already felt obligated to chuck some cash in the direction of some of the major mods that I use routinely. So there's that.

Edited by Bishop149

Agreed with @Bishop149. Buying KSP is probably the best $27 I ever spent on an Hours of Fun / Dollars ratio. I've spent more money on delivery food in one evening of play than I paid for the game itself. I've donated to mod developers and I'd happily contribute more to Squad if it meant a healthy ongoing development process.

Considering when the original announcement that future dlc / expansions would be free I'd say they lived up to it.

If nothing else Asteroid Day, is by todays AAA publisher standards a 10 USD dlc :P. As far as i recall the majority of the items added to the game since 2013 had not been previously promised as the completed product at that stage, although what the completed product would be was also pretty vague and turned out to be moving target depending on how development went. I cant clearly recall what was promised, though I think the revised aerodynamics, more / improved wheels, and bug fixes were (which we got).

It seems that the idea to create paid expansions and DLC faded as time went on, and an approach taken to rather expand the game and increase sales of the game as a whole. Guess we will see though as development on the base game seems done or pretty close to done.

On 10/5/2016 at 0:27 PM, Dilli said:

Considering when the original announcement that future dlc / expansions would be free I'd say they lived up to it.

This.

There have been two 'expansions' as well as many updates.  Asteroid Day and Kerbin Cup.  In addition I have installed both the Windows and Linux versions.  I'm also pretty certain that the agreement when I bought the game (Dec 13, so too late for that blog post) was "until after the full release of version 1.0" or words to that effect.  Squad have more than kept their word to me.  (And I wouldn't consider KerbalEDU or the console versions to be 'updates' or 'expansions' but other versions in the same franchise).

Edited by Pecan

"There will be free expansions in the future"

*releases two free expansions*

There, promise kept. They didn't say that all future expansions would be free of charge, only that there would be some that were. And, wouldn't you know it, there was. I'd say Squad have stuck to their words in that regard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.