KSC and Hurricane Matthew

DerekL1963

Just now, tater said:

Wow. I suppose a lot of the issue is that barrier islands are by definition limited-access, huh? So you're stuck on bridges and causeways?

Which is why accurate forecasts are very important. One does not simply evacuate a cape or island. 

It's like balloon fiesta this week. This morning I took my son after we dropped my daughter at school (they both had breaks this last week, but different days). Drove right in, parked, and saw balloons, and we arrived about 8am, from our house, had we gone straight, under 15 minutes. If we tried to go tomorrow, OTOH, we could leave at 6am and it might take 1.5 hours, because there are only 2 ways in.

1 minute ago, todofwar said:

Which is why accurate forecasts are very important. One does not simply evacuate a cape or island. 

No kidding. Then there is the psychology I mentioned I had read about WRT tornados... hopefully coastal people take all such warnings more seriously than people take tornado warnings as they are far more predictable. 

39 minutes ago, tater said:

Wow. I suppose a lot of the issue is that barrier islands are by definition limited-access, huh? So you're stuck on bridges and causeways?

Pinellas County is one that keeps me up at night. It has a population of around 1 million people and of the five major evacuation routes, four of them are bridges. The Sunshine Skyway bridge that connects I-275 in the south cannot handle traffic during high winds, and the other three bridges are low to the water and vulnerable to flooding. If a storm approaches from the Southwest it could very easily cut access on all four bridges well in advance of landfall, and the topography of Tampa Bay could concentrate the storm surge. 

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/extreme-grey-swan-hurricanes-in-tampa-bay-a-potential-future-catast

And it looks like GOES-R is okay. 

Edited by Ten Key

First report from KSChttps://blogs.nasa.gov/kennedy/2016/10/08/aerial-survey-of-kennedy/

" After the initial inspection flight Saturday morning, it was determined that the center received some isolated roof damage, damaged support buildings, a few downed power lines, and limited water intrusion. "

Full building-by-building inspection in work.

7 hours ago, YNM said:

Stay safe everyone ! Luckily here we don't have any such storms though. But as now I live in the mountains it's always gloomy everyday.

Im located 4331 miles away from the hurricane. Am i safe from harambe Hurricane Matthew?

The KSC may be mostly okay...but Matthew crashed National Observe The Moon night!

Well, whatever. I got 20+ lunar images on October 7th, along with my second Transient Lunar Phenomenon sighting. Also, there was this very odd cloud formation caused by Hurricane Matthew. It was...uh...I can't find words for it. But I found some pictures on Google that show similar cloud features.

strange-clouds.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

mysterious_clouds_Kolding_Denm.jpg

Has anyone else seen stuff like these?

5 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Im located 4331 miles away from the hurricane. Am i safe from harambe Hurricane Matthew?

Well, less safe than me, which is shielded by a 12000 km thick rock :D

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The KSC may be mostly okay...but Matthew crashed National Observe The Moon night!

(Inter)National, maybe. Don't worry, the storm isn't everywhere !

Also, interesting clouds there. Me being positioned not far from the cloud base makes the clouds featureless. Feels like in scotland (?)

10 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I honestly don't know. I'll post a picture soon.

On the thread topic, Matthew has just started dumping rain on where I live. Bleh.

We could use some of that in NM. Our total right now for the year is ~17.75cm (~7in).

5 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Hurricane Matthew...is dead.

It's a huge relief for me, even though I live on the other side of the continent...  Throw a dart at the Atlantic Seaboard from Miami to the Virginia Capes and the odds are it'll land near family or friends.

Well, since Matthew has kicked the bucket and the KSC appears to be mostly intact, let's start worrying about Nicole hitting Bermunda as a strong Category 1 or a weak Category 2 hurricane. It looks like Nicole is attempting to live up to Tropical Storm Karl's original models: Passing close to Bermuda as a dangerous hurricane.

@tater Here's the TLP image I have:

mnhD71h.jpg

And here's the whole album!

http://imgur.com/gallery/D2Hhj

The remnants of Matthew have sucked up all the storms and clouds in my area. Once they all move out, tonight should be almost as good as when I took those images.

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Has anyone else seen stuff like these?

Those look like wave clouds to me. They're usually upper level clouds, but sometimes local topography can force them to form lower to the ground. We get them a lot out on the Colorado front range.

If you have any pictures of it you could try posting them here.

Speaking of strange clouds, one of the satellites got a pretty good image of a gravity wave in Matthew (northeast of the eye in the image below).

Spoiler

Lovely. Well, not only has the quote button stopped working, but now the "insert image" button won't work either. Image is here.

Apparently, the only reason the satellite caught that is because there was no moonlight and just enough airglow reflecting off the clouds to highlight the wave.

Good news! Hurricane Matthew is no longer a hurricane! Bad news, it's still dangerous. More good news, KSC receives minor damage as the storm grazed the region.

On 2016-10-06 at 11:42 AM, todofwar said:

Yup, Florida is finally due. And this thing is apparently going to do a loop de loop and slam south Florida after it trashes north florida. 

It seems it won't, but it might interact with Tropical Storm Nicole.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.