[Input desired] Preparing a new college class for Fall 2017

adsii1970

An unofficial poll as I put together a college class for Fall 2017...  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If you were going to take a class focusing on space exploration, when do you think the course materials should begin?

• With ancient astronomy and star observations of the Maya, Aztec, Celts, Egyptians, and the Chinese legend of Wan Hu
    • Galileo Galilei and his observations, begin in the European Reniassance
    • Begin with the German V1 (Fieseler Fi 103) program, starting with the early experiments in 1936
    • Post World War II programs (both manned and unmanned) of both the United States and the Soviet Union
    • Post World War II programs (manned only) of both the United States and the Soviet Union
  2. 2. If you were a college student, would you be more interested in...

• Taking both courses to learn of the continual development of space exploration and how it led to spaceflight.
    • Take the first course which focuses on space exploration and space flight, ending with Apollo.
    • Take the second course which would begin with Skylab and culminate with commercial space exploration.
  3. 3. If you were a college student, would you prefer...

• A traditional course with term papers, small assignments, and exams.
    • A course divided into modules, each containing lectures, exams, and a project.
    • A course divided into modules, each containing lectures, exams, with a separate major course project.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

The Mayans, the Aztec (Mexicali) and the Egyptians actually had a lot of knowledge about our solar system. Many of their temples are aligned in exact astronomical phenomena. In fact, they were more advanced than most of Europe was until the Renaissance... to toss them to the side would be irresponsible history, to say the least.

Kant isn't that bad; he contributed to the body of inquisitive knowledge, particularly in psychology. Believe it or not, this is essential to understanding the psyche of human spaceflight. So not to sure why you're willing to toss him overboard so quickly...

Including Kant of course. He wrote even more about space ...

If you take Egyptians than don't forget Babylonians. Problem with those peoples (including southern American prehistory) at the fringe of history is that too much "knowledge" went through too many hands to teach in a thoroughly prepared educational class (imho). Might lower the level ... best suited for Discovery channel ... :-)

Nope, not Asian, but in trying to do some preliminary space flight, the Japanese and Chinese both have "ancient legends" similar to that of the Egyptians and Greeks about astronomy. Some of it goes into the realm of science-fiction and science-fantasy, but is still used to explain man's understanding of the cosmos.

Depends what you want to teach :-)

This is where I get politically incorrect. Had it not been for German scientists from 1932 through the end of the war working on the V1 and V2 projects, our understanding of solid propellants would not have happened. I am not praising Germany's past, but am marveling at the technology that was used. There is a BIG BIG difference between the two. Many people do not know that the Confederate Army actually used metal body, solid propellant (wood dust mixed with gunpowder and kerosene) as a rocket propellant in some of the battles in North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia. What amazes me is that 1920 German experiments in rocket design picked up where the Confederacy's research ended. Germans began playing with the types of bells used and the shape of the combustion chamber can determine the range and speed of a rocket. Even though the Germans were years ahead of the Allies and on the losing side of the war does not mean we discredit their work. In the words of the Star Trek II character, Dr. David Marcus (played by Merritt Butrick), "Scientists have always been the pawns of the military..."

Eeehmmm ... Star Trek ? Well ... no comment :-)

Just suggesting. I don't know how big your class is and what level to expect, but in my eyes, the more facts, the less fiction, the clearer the picture, the better the understanding. That's why i suggested renaissance on the one side, the first "free thinkers" after the antique, rooms full of literature documenting the buildup of our view of the world, and the modern stuff, math and physics, theory and practice on the other hand. Dry theory and things that make a noise when they 'splode.

Have fun, it's surely a thrilling subject. Almost as thrilling as prehistory :sticktongue: [fun]Need someone for the opening lecture ?[/fun]

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.