[0.17] Crew-able empty pods 0.3.1

Pablock

3 Kerbals stranded on Mun :( 8) :(

You want to rescue them, but your standard command pod can only fit 2 (if you emptied those seats while on Kerbin!)

Well, there's a solution...

Description

The standard command pods, CFG edited to become a strut and available in the Crew tab on the VAB.

They're normal parts that you place on your rocket, but you can enter them just like the command pod.

RHy2D.jpg

4pYrW.jpg

Disclaimer or something like that

I take absolutely no credit for the models, textures or kerbal lifes saved. That's Squad's work.

I just changed some words on a textfile, and uploaded the entire part folder so it's easier to install.

Changelog

0.3.1 patch - Fixed stuff for 0.17, IVAs and kerbal portraits work.

0.3 - Added empty versions of the 1m command pod, the mk2 cockpit and the mk3 cockpit.

0.2 - Theoretically fixed bug in Kerbal portraits.

0.1 - Initial release

Download

1. Unzip the Emptypods.7z and place the 4 folders inside the Parts folder.

2. Unzip the podsfix.zip and copy its folders in the parts folder. Make sure to click Merge All and Replace All, so essentially you update the old cfgs.

Edited by Pablock

Well, thanks for bringing that up. Just tested it :)

Quick guess is that the custom strutified command pod internally links to the same 'internal model' as the main command pod.

I don\'t know if I can fix it without a dll. As I said, this kind of multiple pod thingy is not supported in the main game, I think NovaSilisko was coding it, but it didn\'t make it to 0.16.

If you use the 1m pod as the main one this glitch doesn\'t happen though, that\'s why I didn\'t notice it while using my munar-rescue-lander. :)

I\'ll investigate.

Fixed and reuploaded :D

Removed the empty command pod internal space and crew portraits, while retaining crew holding capabilities. (given the bug with 4+ portraits, they were unnecessary)

That\'s a good module! But it looks like this pod can\'t control ship after separation from the main rocket. Is it fixable? :)

It\'s not a pod. It\'s just a part that happens to hold Kerbals, which was made from a pod.

It\'s not a pod. It\'s just a part that happens to hold Kerbals, which was made from a pod.

I understand but is it possible to add such functionality with a plugin or mod? :) Some people made a crewtank that can control carts ;)

I understand but is it possible to add such functionality with a plugin or mod? :) Some people made a crewtank that can control carts ;)

Yes it\'s possible. All you need to do is attach a MechJeb to the new command pod to make it controllable. In fact, a MechJeb makes any decoupled part controllable.

Isn\'t it related to overlapping many kerbal portraits at the same position?

Yes, but the auther said the following:

Well, thanks for bringing that up. Just tested it :)

Quick guess is that the custom strutified command pod internally links to the same 'internal model' as the main command pod.

I don\'t know if I can fix it without a dll. As I said, this kind of multiple pod thingy is not supported in the main game, I think NovaSilisko was coding it, but it didn\'t make it to 0.16.

If you use the 1m pod as the main one this glitch doesn\'t happen though, that\'s why I didn\'t notice it while using my munar-rescue-lander. :)

I\'ll investigate.

Fixed and reuploaded :D

Removed the empty command pod internal space and crew portraits, while retaining crew holding capabilities. (given the bug with 4+ portraits, they were unnecessary)

tl;dr: He said be fixed it, but the issue persists.

I\'m using the 3 capacity pod(the only one that matches in size), and only just downloaded this part today. I miss my green Kerbals.. :(

Yes, when I get some compression issues sorted out I\'ll upload them... Won\'t take much time I hope.

Hopefully tomorrow they\'ll be there.

Uploaded all the edited command pods in a single package 8)

...excepting the mk1 plane cockpit. It refuses to compress and it\'s way too late to tinker why, I\'ll look into it later.

I can\'t figure out how to get the Kerbals back out of the extra pod. I click the hatch and it brings up the guy\'s name but I don\'t know how to get him to exit from there, clicking/right clicking on his name does nothing. Is there a hotkey or something?

edit: nevermind, reloading got it to work properly

I\'m still getting weird white-and-yellow kerbals. Was the above issue fixed as stated, or did I somehow downloads the wrong thing?

I had this bug when I didn\'t have the new pod, some other addons do this, I think it might be mechjeb because I have no other plugin installs, I am dead serious about the cure in the spoiler.

I am serious about this

The cure happen when I was launching my unmanned mechjeb rocket and when the boosters split off before running out of fuel it crashed into main column, causing lag and a explosion, everything survived apart from the boosters and my portraits were fixed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.