Skydiving!

This is the challenge: A kerbal has to go EVA from a height of at least 100,000 meters, fall to the ground and LIVE.

Rules:

1. The Kerbal can\'t be touching anything during the whole time after it lets go.

2. You can\'t use anything other than the jet pack to break it\'s fall

3. No mods or hacks that affect EVA. You can use NovaPunch or whatever to get the character in the air, but no '1000000 drag' modifications.

4. Pics or a video or it didn\'t happen.

Well, what we mean is did you do it and succeed. It seems impossible, and if you haven\'t done it I don\'t want to try to do something that\'s impossible. In fact, I can\'t think of any possible way of doing it and succeeding.

It\'s not possible without having them hang on a booster with a parachute or something, the RCS packs simply don\'t have enough thrust to really do anything on Kerbin aside from knock them over.

It\'s not possible without having them hang on a booster with a parachute or something, the RCS packs simply don\'t have enough thrust to really do anything on Kerbin aside from knock them over.

I couldn\'t even get the packs to do that.

How about a new challenge then? How far can you fall using EVA pack next to your pod/rocket/whatever with it\'s un-deployed parachutes, before chickening out and climbing back on to safety?

(I know the drag system is still rather clanky so the falling speeds will change rather dramatically at a certain point, but at least the attempt isn\'t impossible.)

I\'ve noticed that kerbals seem to have a very tiny amount of drag. I tried a 18,000m/s skydive with jeb, and it failed utterly. He hit the ground at over 1000m/s (can\'t tell since it doesnt show velocity other then the 1000 to -1000m/s vertical speed). When I used the rocket, I was able to successfully land it, slowed to around 300m/s on drag alone and the parachute + thrust did the rest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.