Atmosphere thickness? Whre to edit?

Hey Guys,

Stupid question here.  I ditched the Xbox version of KSP in favor of the PC because of all the mods and stuff.  After about 5 days of playing with it, I finally have all the mods installed I wanted and have it running a decent frame rate.  A few of the configs needed manual editing to get the good frame rate.  I don't think I messed anything else up, but now the atmosphere seems to start way to low.  I have looked to the config to change it, but I am not finding it, not finding it with a google search either.  Probably right in front of my face.  LOL  So, when I fly orbital or sub orbital the atmosphere started at 70k.  I would begin really slowing and seeing reentry flames about 52K give or take.  I would be slowed down and come out of reentry about 20k or so.  Now it looks like I am not hitting the thicker part of the atmosphere until about 30K or below.  Very low, and by the time I am slowed enough for chutes, I am almost on the ground.

Here are the Mods I have:

RSS no RO

RVE with EVE and Scatterer

Small Solar System

Real Plume

Reentry particle effects

FASA and Historical Missions (historical missions do not seem to show up in contracts, contract manager is installed) 

A few other mods, but nothing earth shattering.

Not sure where to edit but....

Sounds about right to me, if you come in real steep with a heavy lander or re-entry vehicle you'll run out of room to slow down.

Drag chutes set to open at 5km help but I personally love the ballutes mod for this.

I am not sure if the RSS mod changes atmosphere though, but again your description sounds about right to me for Kerbin.

Hyperedit mod makes it easy to modify planet values from atmosphere height, density, gravity, etc... but it's basically cheating.

Edited by kurdain

IRL the Karman line is only at 100 km, Kerbin is smaller then Earth, so one would expect that boundary to be lower.  Also, remember, that the game measures altitude in Meters, not Feet.  An altitude of 30,000 meters is still like 98,500 feet, you may just be reentering too fast and too steep. 

That sounds like FAR is installed actually(Ferram Aerospace Research).
If you are using RO because you like realism, then don't edit the atmosphere...you need to add drogue chutes that deploy before the main parachutes

• 3 years later...

Hi 

I thought as you, that Kerbin would had a Karman limit lower than 100km....
But I was wrong.....

If Kerbin have : same atmosphere than earth, azote, oxygen, etc.... So the molar mass of air is equal.
If Kerbin have same température......
And if Kerbin have same gravity....

Density and pressure change like on earth so the limit is at the same altitude!

10157991699406718Limit depends only these three values calculation

11 hours ago, lolotux said:

Hi 

I thought as you, that Kerbin would had a Karman limit lower than 100km....
But I was wrong.....

If Kerbin have : same atmosphere than earth, azote, oxygen, etc.... So the molar mass of air is equal.
If Kerbin have same température......
And if Kerbin have same gravity....

Density and pressure change like on earth so the limit is at the same altitude!

10157991699406718Limit depends only these three values calculation

But....
Does a smaller planet could have the same acceleration at the ground?
We could have an hypothesis : average rock density is equal : calls d0.

Acceleration of planet 1 and 2 are :
g1=-G*(4/3*pi*d0*R1³)/R1=-4/3*G*pi*d0*R1²
g2=-4/3*G*pi*d0*R2²

g2/g1=(R2/R1)²...

Then if R2 is 10 times smaller than R1 => g2 is 100 times smaller than g1.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.