Wheels are bouncing?!

Program Kerbal Space

Assuming you're talking about when they're on the ground,then I find that actually lowering those settings can help to reduce bouncing. I haven't found a reliable method of eliminating it though.

If they're bouncing around while you are actually flying in the air, then I have no idea what to tell you. :P

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Assuming you're talking about when they're on the ground,then I find that actually lowering those settings can help to reduce bouncing. I haven't found a reliable method of eliminating it though.

If they're bouncing around while you are actually flying in the air, then I have no idea what to tell you. :P

on ground...

On trains i generally maxout all settings..suspension still works but light engine jumps around in the yard

Does anyone have any definate guide as to what the sliders do at what setting?

Having to reload a mission to test a setting is bloody madness

They also got rid of my lateral slip setting in the cfg files that used to make wagons track straighter at speed :(

30 minutes ago, Overland said:

On trains i generally maxout all settings..suspension still works but light engine jumps around in the yard

They also got rid of my lateral slip setting in the cfg files that used to make wagons track straighter at speed :(

I feel your pain for the missing settings, sucks when they do anything like that.

Also I cant help you too much on what the settings exactly do, its still a lot of trial and error for me. And yeah, I definitely have to agree: spring settings cannot be changed in the field, but friction setting can??? Why Squad, why?

3 hours ago, Overland said:

AFAIK "Lateral Slip" is the "Traction" slider once you choose the override.

I also wish for a guide to optimizing wheel settings, but one thing I found - too few, too small wheels under too high load (mass) will bounce.

Trucky used to jump around too, until I added one more axis.

I mean - first, I tried this setup, except with cargo intended for the mission. It behaved okay at 1x, but 2x phys-warp would make it jump shamelessly.

siHsRVh.png

Adding an extra pair of wheels makes Trucky behave quite correctly under 3x phys warp. It still jumps at x4 though.

bDV0sl1.png

The wheels have been driving me crazy ever since the "fix" as well. The only reliable solution seems to be making sure they're 100% absolutely and perfectly aligned forward and horizontally - no matter whether it makes your vehicle ugly - and making the vehicle heavy enough to absorb the rebound forces. One might guess that I find the situation hacky and limiting.

9 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

The wheels have been driving me crazy ever since the "fix" as well. The only reliable solution seems to be making sure they're 100% absolutely and perfectly aligned forward and horizontally - no matter whether it makes your vehicle ugly - and making the vehicle heavy enough to absorb the rebound forces. One might guess that I find the situation hacky and limiting.

Yeah they should patch this.

• 3 weeks later...

When my planes start bouncing as soon as they spawn on the runway, i take that as a sign the gear is overstressed and about to explode.  It usually does all by itself a few seconds later, or if i have the temerity to throttle up the engines.   More or bigger wheels required..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.