The different kinds of miming resources according to survey scanner

I'm in my third career game, and I've never fiddled with mining, but this phase is fast approaching now.

I scanned Minmus with the big resource scanner and upon right clicking it, there is a button that says resource,a nd as I click it it cycles through all kinds of resources like Dirt, Rare Minerals etc...each having its own locations on the surface. This confuses me, as I know there's only one resource that you can mine and that's "ore". Sure enough, there is an "ore" option on that button as well.

Can I mine any of these resources and it will turn to "ore" or do I have to select ore on the antenna and then mine one of those areas to get ore? What are the other resources for then, do they serve any purpose at all?

Edited by ROXunreal

Since this is basically a question about how to play the game it has been moved from KSP Discussion.

The other resources you mention are certainly added by a mod.

You should consult detailed information about that mod to understand the purpose of the other resources.

Happy landings!

6 minutes ago, ROXunreal said:

That's weird as I never installed a mod that adds resources. I have TAC Ls. I also have interstellar fuel switch, not sure if that has something to do with it, I installed it because it's a pre-requisite for other mods.

IIRC, both the mods you mention use the Community Resources Pack (as do many other mods).  Installing any of those mods installs CRP, which adds those resources to the game and also makes it so the ore scanners can see them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.