My first circular orbit!

opticalshadow

i havent been with KSP for long, only since the last version. ive been to the mun a few times, though no successful landings, and ive been in orbit, and put things in orbit, but its always been huge elliptical silly orbits. i was watching alot of videos today, deciding i was to make this work before i go any farther again. it might not be the biggest deal to some vets here, but for me, this is big. it means i can start redevue missions useing a chart i found on here, it means i can make space neater, and hopefully not as cluttered as my old persistence.

in anycase its a 89km orbit, teh apo and peri and less then one km apart their both inside of 89, if i had RCS on me i could get it near perfect, though when i redid my design, i forgot to readd the tank.

in anycase heres a pic of my glory!!

screenshot8.png

screenshot7.png

i also feel credit is due to the videos i used to help me find out my problems. Kosmos\' tut helped me with the basics while dieselxrobot helped me with how to fine tune the final adjustments.

Nice work! I\'d be interested to know how you got to the Mun without a circular orbit.

In my amateur days of flying I would just shoot straight up, creating a really narrow elliptical orbit, and then just 1000x time warp around and around, sometimes for 5 minutes until the Mun scooped me up when I was at my Kerbin apoapsis. Not very efficient, but it got the job done ::)

Nice work! I\'d be interested to know how you got to the Mun without a circular orbit.

well you can do it with an elipitcal orbit just as you would a circular one, just wait for it to peak horizan then thrust. or you can do a jump stright to mun without and orbit, its really non efficient for fuel, but it can be done.

Nice orbit!

I never manage a circular orbit on the first try, and have to do too fuel consuming corrections to achieve it. Thus, I get my always highly elliptical orbit (Pe: ~85.000, Ap: 400.000), and burn to the Mun before I reach 130.000. It works every time.

My orbits don\'t work mostly because I manage to stage and decouple always during circularization, and after staging and recovering my pro-grade vector, I\'m already descending back to Kerbin. Thus, my Ap always goes to nonsense...

the rocket i used in orbit atm has 2 1/2 tanks of fuel left, i think i over did it a bit with the fuel storage. dieselxrobot\'s circular orbit guide helped tremendously, id highly recommend it if you cant get it, i went from eliptical orbits like you describe to this, less then 1km of error cicular orbit in just one watch of his vid in the first try.

the only thing he doesnt mention, that i found vital is to use the precision controls (caps toggle) otherwise its just all kerbal.

First time I 'landed' (some would call it a crash ;) ) on the Mun I had no idea of the orbit technique used for getting there. So I just mainly looked where the moon was, shot my rocket straight up, and then with some luck (or maybe quite much luck..) I managed to hit spot on on the moon. :P

First time I 'landed' (some would call it a crash ;) ) on the Mun I had no idea of the orbit technique used for getting there. So I just mainly looked where the moon was, shot my rocket straight up, and then with some luck (or maybe quite much luck..) I managed to hit spot on on the moon. :P

lol yeah, first time i made it to the mun i slammed right into it, somehow the command capsule survived stranding my three up there. thankfully i had to kinda reinstall for .16 so i dont feel guilty about it now

I\'ve successfully landed (and returned from) on both Mun and Minmus without ever getting a circular orbit. Started playing little more than a week ago. Okay, my best tries resulted in 15-40 km differences between the apoapsis and the periapsis. So you still do a better job than me. :)

I\'ve successfully landed (and returned from) on both Mun and Minmus without ever getting a circular orbit. Started playing little more than a week ago. Okay, my best tries resulted in 15-40 km differences between the apoapsis and the periapsis. So you still do a better job than me. :)

yeah, orginally thats the best i could do aswell. but after watching those two videos, im able to get it right most times. it just took a little understanding of the mechanics and such, it makes alot of sense now.

i dont really think orbits matter much for actual travel, but it does look nicer on the map. and its alot easier to meet up with other things in space with circular orbits for sure. really i think it was a simple first step to allow me to do some of these asesome things i see older members doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.