Slightly Larger Mk3 Plane Parts?

I like building space planes but I often find them quite useless since even the largest mk3 cargo bay is a bit small. It's fine if the payload doesn't have radially mounted parts but as soon as I attach something like a landing leg, it becomes too big to fit in the cargo bay. Oftentimes they are only useful for carrying 1.25m ships, which is quite disappointing.

I know there is TweakScale but I'm a little hesitant to try it out. Also for people who want near stock experience, I don't think TweakScale is a good solution.

Yup. MK4 is cool. Ability to load up a Mammoth based rocket into the cargo bay? Hell yeah.

Yesterday I was planning my Eve mobile base around MK4 craft. I really, really wanted to put the *deployed* Interplanetary Launchpads runway in the Cargo Bay (...an airplane with a RUNWAY inside its cargo bay!) but it was *a little* too big.

Won't stop me from putting an aircraft carrier catapult in there though. The base/craft WILL be performing launches from the cargo bay.

And there's always Tweakscale. It won't touch MK4, but MK3 is a fair game. If I really, really wanted to go wild, I'd tweakscale MK3 to 20 meters diameter, and then the runway would fit for sure.

Note: Tweakscale is NOT a "cheat mod". It doesn't scale parts it has no clue about, and it scales price and mass of a part following either a semi-small algorithm (that is more likely to leave you short-changed, for having a part worse than "native" counterpart of the "extra" size) or a preset set of configurations that were meant to be balanced.

Edited by Sharpy

The current wing selection is a bit small, not selection wise but can require a large number of wing elements to be stitched together

While you can now hold them together better with AT:Autostrut's, this exacerbates the physics slowdown you already get with lots of parts.

If you could switch up their size a bit (like the 2x2 panel is available), that could cut down on the number of wing parts by 75% (in some cases), and could be done with either MODEL{} calls or scale arguments, although having this accessible as an advanced tweakable rather than further discrete parts would be preferable (so as not to clutter up the parts selection).

30 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

The current wing selection is a bit small, not selection wise but can require a large number of wing elements to be stitched together

While you can now hold them together better with AT:Autostrut's, this exacerbates the physics slowdown you already get with lots of parts.

If you could switch up their size a bit (like the 2x2 panel is available), that could cut down on the number of wing parts by 75% (in some cases), and could be done with either MODEL{} calls or scale arguments, although having this accessible as an advanced tweakable rather than further discrete parts would be preferable (so as not to clutter up the parts selection).

theres a mods for that....

9 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

OPT is another great mod for larger spaceplanes. I find the Mark IV coupled with OPT makes for a great combo. 

How do you couple Mark 4 with OPT?

While both provide some really cool parts, I never found a neat way to combine the hulls. Also, OPT bays are wider than MK3, but not taller I think. Mk4 has converters to most native sizes. OPT has only converters between its own three bulkheadprofiles, and I think a 2.5m bicoupler or something...

One more thing: OPT really has some cheaty parts. Dark Drive - 3000s of ISp in all pressures at a pretty high thrust? I installed the mod only recently and decided to give it a more thorough try through a "school trip", the standard "fly by moon, land on Minmus, peek out of Kerbin SOI" thing to bring kerbals to 3 star level. The trip was 20 or so kerbals, in an SSTO spaceplane of a very modest proportions, which arrived into the orbit with some 16,000m/s of delta-V to spare, performed the whole trip in a very wasteful manner, and when I found myself in standard neat equatorial LKO preparing to reentry with some 6000m/s left in the tanks, and noticed I *just* flew over KSC and would need to wait most of an orbit for reentry, I just pointed my craft retrograde, performed a 3000m/s burn, and flew directly to KSC from the sea side.

3 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

theres a mods for that....

although finding the up-to-date download is a little tricky :) Mods where the main post links to Kerbalstuff don't fill me with confidence...

11 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

How do you couple Mark 4 with OPT?

While both provide some really cool parts, I never found a neat way to combine the hulls. Also, OPT bays are wider than MK3, but not taller I think. Mk4 has converters to most native sizes. OPT has only converters between its own three bulkheadprofiles, and I think a 2.5m bicoupler or something...

One more thing: OPT really has some cheaty parts. Dark Drive - 3000s of ISp in all pressures at a pretty high thrust? I installed the mod only recently and decided to give it a more thorough try through a "school trip", the standard "fly by moon, land on Minmus, peek out of Kerbin SOI" thing to bring kerbals to 3 star level. The trip was 20 or so kerbals, in an SSTO spaceplane of a very modest proportions, which arrived into the orbit with some 16,000m/s of delta-V to spare, performed the whole trip in a very wasteful manner, and when I found myself in standard neat equatorial LKO preparing to reentry with some 6000m/s left in the tanks, and noticed I *just* flew over KSC and would need to wait most of an orbit for reentry, I just pointed my craft retrograde, performed a 3000m/s burn, and flew directly to KSC from the sea side.

although finding the up-to-date download is a little tricky :) Mods where the main post links to Kerbalstuff don't fill me with confidence...

When i say coupling i mean using engines from OPT on MK IV parts. while the dark drive is cheaty the other engines are very reasonable

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.