What I Want from No Mans Sky

RamptantFlamingo247

The new foundations update from NMS does just that: sets up the foundation to build upon the game and increase it's near-as-makes-no-difference infinite vastness to give players what they really want: reason.  Many people have issues playing today because there's simply no reason for them to.  The story isn't interesting, there's no reward for completing the game, and you continue repeating the same actions over and over for an end result of no importance.  The foundations update mixes it up a bit, but it still isn't enough.  I thought I would list some things that, personally, I would like to find in the future updates of NMS.  Tell me what you guys think!

-Freighters:

It's a cool concept now that we can purchase the services for freighters, but all they are for is more storage space.  There's plenty of things they can do with such a large craft.  Personally, I think we would all love the ability to actually pilot one of these things.  Yes, it will make me feel more like Captain Kirk while piloting a mile long hunk of binary-coded, lemmium-plated, metal through the galaxy and I think that's totally acceptable.  With that said, space battles need to be implemented with freighters.  Give me the ability to increase the number and upgrade the turrets I have on my freighter.  Let me walk through, not just the bridge, but perhaps a procedurally-generated mini-world inside the freighter where I can repair parts that got demolished while I was under attack from the Gek I angered (because who likes those frogs anyways...) 

-Commerce:

Now the idea of an actual economy is NMS was extremely interesting to me in the beginning.  But after seeing just how lackluster it actually was...I found it more useless than astonishing.  Seriously, my plutonium being worth only 1.9% more than it's original value means nothing to me.  Maybe they could develop a kind of economy in which every player is connected to it.  Whenever a players sells something on a market, I want to be able to see that and whatever items players are buying more of, let those items be worth more (supply and demand, people).  But don't forget the trade commodities.  Give those actual uses.  Instead of fueling your launch thrusters with plutonium, fuel up with gravitino balls for example. (and decrease the rate in which the fuel is consumed.....please.....I can't explore when I'm looking for plutonium half the time)

-Connect the players

Look, no matter how you look at it, NMS is kinda like minecraft.  No real goal, find resources, build bases.  But there's a reason why minecraft has more...for lack of a better term: "replay-ability."  It's the multiplayer.  Minecraft is fun by yourself for the first few hours you download it but after you've built a house, found diamond, and claimed the tears from that endless whining flying cubical beast inside the hell termed "nether," it gets pretty boring.  But bring your friends along with you in minecraft and maybe ruthlessly end the lives of an opposing faction because your diamond enchanted sword hath no mercy, then it gets kinda interesting.  Please Hello Games, connect me with my friends somehow.  I get you want me to feel lonely in the massive game...but sometimes lonely isn't fun.  Any 11 year old girl going through her existential crisis knows this, and I don't think they want to re-live it again.  I'm not saying let my friends have the ability to go through my journey with me, but perhaps there's another game mode you can make, or maybe give me and my buddy the chance to roam the world I claimed my base in and we can explore the solar system it's in, but limit us to only that star system; make us unable to explore together any star system my home base isn't in.  (oh, and let me be able to see him as well, we don't want another incident that happened at launch day now do we hello games...)

-International relations

If you've looked into the lore of NMS, it says that the Gek and the Vy'Keen had a war a loooooong long long long looong time ago.  So perhaps there's a way we can make this interesting.  Say a Vy'Keen freighter is being attacked by Gek, I can choose a side to fight with.  I can partner with the Gek and take the loot, or I can protect the Vy'Keen.  And whoever's side I pick, it will lower the relations I have with the opposing side.  This can lead to strong alliances.  If I then enter a Gek system, the frequency at which I get attacked by pirates is increased, but I can call on my allies to warp to me and fight with me.  Freighters will fight freighters, and starships will fight starships in the colossal battles we've been wanting to see.  Which leads me to my next point

-Starships

Ok look, I made it my mission in NMS to get the largest starship I could get.  Not in terms of cargo space, but of just strait up scale of the vehicle.  And I have succeeded.  I got a cool looking freighter ship with the two rectangle boxes on each side of it.  It's pretty great.  But I warped to another system and I saw a sweet looking, small and nimble-appearing starship.  So what if each ship had it's own innate ability.  Ok ok, hear me out.  Instead of letting every ship in NMS max out to a 48 cargo slot, reserve that only for the cargo-looking ships.  But limit the cargo ships in their weapons, speed, and maneuverability aspects.  So smaller fighter-looking ships would be faster, would have stronger weapons, and have more maneuverability but be limited to say a 35 space cargo slot max and have less health once their shields are down, and larger cargo ships would be slower and have weaker weapon capabilities, but they have that extra cargo.  And expand this idea with the freighters and give us the ability to have multiple ships parked inside the freighter so that we could choose between which one we want to fly.  If we enter a system that is controlled by the Gek we made mad earlier, then perhaps it's in our best interest to take the fighter ship encase we get some trouble.  But if we're in the Vy'Keen system, then we wouldn't have to worry about pirates as much so we can afford to take the cargo ship.

These are just my ideas, let me know what you guys think and what you want to see :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.