1.2 biome maps could use a legend.

strider3

One thing I miss on the previous version of the biome maps is that most had a color coded legend to make it easy to know what color represented which biome. A small annoyance, I realize, but it was handy and made picking out your next science landing area easy.

21 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I do not have access to editing on Wiki (nor do I want it), but if you do... all you need is SCANsat. Scan the bodies and generate the biome maps, then you can label them.

I do not have access either...for a good reason, I am sure. WIKI is known for allowing "false" edits of information? It's kind of like the "false news" we all hear about lately..."if it's on the Internet...it must be true...right?"

LOL!

I've been meaning to put these up somewhere. I have a set of biome maps for all of the stock planets in three different versions: the SCANsat color scheme with borders and the terrain underneath, the stock color scheme with the same, and the stock color scheme with no borders or terrain. All of the images are at 4096*2048, so are quite big.

If someone wants to add them to the wiki feel free.

Imgur links:

SCANsat Colors

Stock Colors

Stock Colors without terrain or borders

Dropbox links to zip files:

SCANsat Colors

Stock Colors

I can do the same for terrain, if there is an interest.

Edited by DMagic

On 2016-12-18 at 9:38 AM, LordFerret said:

Don't kid yourself, or let them kid you. The only false news is by and from those claiming there is false news.

It's true, tinfoil hats actually make it easier for the government to steal your thoughts.

Be woke sheeple!

Sbwkq2c.jpg

(Actual sheeple for reference.)

23 hours ago, Nathair said:

It's true, tinfoil hats actually make it easier for the government to steal your thoughts.

Be woke sheeple!

Sbwkq2c.jpg

(Actual sheeple for reference.)

LOL...I don't fool myself and I can imagine REAL, "back in the day" journalists, like Edward R. Murrow, are just rolling over in their graves, these days.

"To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

Edited by strider3

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, DMagic said:

I've been meaning to put these up somewhere. I have a set of biome maps for all of the stock planets in three different versions: the SCANsat color scheme with borders and the terrain underneath, the stock color scheme with the same, and the stock color scheme with no borders or terrain. All of the images are at 4096*2048, so are quite big.

If someone wants to add them to the wiki feel free.

Imgur links:

SCANsat Colors

Stock Colors

Dropbox links to zip files:

SCANsat Colors

Stock Colors

I can do the same for terrain, if there is an interest.

The problem I'm having is the last 2 biomes I have to hit...northern and southern ice shelves. Looking at the current Wiki biome map, I'm "guessing" that Ice Caps are the blue-grey, and Tundra is the purple...that leaves the white as Ice Shelves? I could have sworn I have hit them twice three times...but it always says "Ice Caps".

And a big thank you, DMagic...those are great and any info is always welcome.

Edited by strider3
more attempts

• 1 month later...

SOOooo...no one can make Biome maps like the previous versions...???

High Color Contrast

With a definitive legend

??

I can't use the new ones at all. They have no relation to the old ones (tried that) and no legend. I'm starting to get a tad aggravated at the wasted fuel, funds and Kerbals spent trying to land on a new area for science points??

Please...SOMEBODY...build new biome maps that have these! Pretty please?

1 hour ago, Victor3 said:

I can't use the new ones at all. They have no relation to the old ones (tried that) and no legend. I'm starting to get a tad aggravated at the wasted fuel, funds and Kerbals spent trying to land on a new area for science points??

Please...SOMEBODY...build new biome maps that have these! Pretty please?

Why not use Kerbnet to verify that your projected landing site has the biome you want?

All you need to do is orbit a few times, making note of the locations of the biomes you want to visit before you land.

You may need a higher orbit around airless bodies to see the polar biomes from the equator, but stock already has the tools you need.

(Personally, I prefer the ScanSat mod, as that lets me generate permanent maps so I need not wait for my satellite to get into the proper position)

4 hours ago, Victor3 said:

"Kerbnet"..."ScanSat"? LOL...OK, I'm off to do some reading as I have no clue what these are. Thanks Terwin!

SCANsat is the way to go (IMO). #1, you gain science from completing a scan. #2, good exercise in attaining a polar orbit. And, #3, you get a nice map which you can export to, like, a high resolution PNG file; plus you can control the colors; plus when you put your cursor over areas SCANsat will tell you about the biome and slope and such (from which you can generate a legend). It's a great tool.

The only downside to generating such maps, is that, invariably, the bodies will change (the biomes) whenever SQUAD feels like updating them or cleaning them up (the terrain). Seems to me almost every update contains some manner of change to at least one or more bodies. None-the-less, I'll reiterate, it's a great tool to have.

:cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.