Perfectly Square asteroid

Hi, 

New to the forum and new to capturing asteroids on KSP. First time approaching a class A asteroid. 

At first I cannot seem to get closer than 200m to the asteroid using RCS and docking mode. When I use engines I get up close and find the asteroid is a perfect cube. I've a feeling this is a bug. I can't dock to it or anything. Is this a bug or an easter egg? 

I've uploaded two images to google docs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5Lm9vyZG-QWVlaczFqZU5tNkk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5Lm9vyZG-QOVh1Tl9FcE9Vdms/view?usp=sharing

Edited by bluetack45
Fixed permissions for the links

Well, several issues here.

1. You forgot to set the permissions on those images, so they come up as 403/forbidden. But I have a good guess what I would see.

2. All asteroids have a cube at their CoM, underneath the surface. You are not supposed to zoom your camera underneath the surface. :P

3. It sounds like the surface of the asteroid is not being drawn? This might mean your game is corrupted. Did you get it from Steam, and did you do a file verification on it?

4. A class A asteroid is only a few meters across, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to fly right up and bonk into it.

5. Actually capturing an asteroid requires either a very careful docking using a klaw, or a lot of persistence trying repeatedly when it doesn't work at first. Your ship has to be quite perpendicular to the surface that you contact -- which is not the same thing as pointing at the CoM.

6. If you are using any mods, then that could easily change everything I just said.

7. If you are running a stock game, then posting a savegame would allow me to test what's happening.

Edited by bewing

Really sorry about the permissions, I'll fix that now.

It looks like only the CoM has been rendered, and that the asteroid around it hasn't been. I'll try again with a different asteroid and see if it is a recurring issue. I have a feeling that by some random chance the asteroid the game created was smaller than the cube. I bought the game directly from their website so I will reinstall it. 

It's no massive issue it was just completely bizarre. 

2 hours ago, bluetack45 said:

It looks like only the CoM has been rendered, and that the asteroid around it hasn't been. I'll try again with a different asteroid and see if it is a recurring issue.

The SetOrbit debugging feature (AltF12/Cheats tab) has a "rendezvous" function. It sets your ship's location 150m from the selected "ship", which can be an asteroid. Which would allow you to test a whole bunch of asteroids really quick.

2 hours ago, bluetack45 said:

I have a feeling that by some random chance the asteroid the game created was smaller than the cube.

Huh! That would be really interesting if that were the answer. I hadn't ever thought of that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.