need help with headphones

popeter123

Well, depending on your personal tastes, what you\'re going to hook the cans up to, and what you listen to most often, there are any number of options that might turn out to be the best for you. So it\'s hard to give advice without knowing anything about those things.

That said, the people whom I find to be savviest and best-informed on the subject are almost unanimous in their opinion that most of what both Skullcandy and Beats put out is overpriced crap, plain and simple

If you might be considering in-ear monitors, I can tell you I\'ve been very pleased with the offerings from MEElectronics (http://www.meelec.com/). Their M9/M9P model offers excellent bang for the buck; towards the other end of their price scale, I adore my new A161Ps, though my guess is their sound would be much too neutral for you.

For over-ear/closed headphones, the Sennheiser HD201 punches way above its weight when it comes to price-performance ratio. A bit pricier--but still nowhere near the insane heights that some high-end equipment can reach--is the classic Sony MDR-V6, widely used and respected as a sensibly-priced reference headphone for over 20 years now. (The Sony is my most recent purchase, bought for use with my new digital piano.)

Many, many more thoughts and opinions and suggestions and reviews can be found at the headphone enthusiast site Head-Fi (http://www.head-fi.org/).

I bought a pair of MEElectronics M6 earbuds a while back, and I consider it one of the better $30 purchases I\'ve made.

I had a pair of those and they were great! The only problem is that they sit in you pocket kinda weirdly. Recently I went really cheap and picked myself up a pair of JVC Marshmellows and for $17 they weren\'t bad plus they came with foam tips.

Anyway I wouldn\'t buy skull candies since every pair I\'ve had has broken in within two weeks of purchase which is terrible quality. Beats while they put out decent sound for the price you can do way better.

Oh, yes...I forgot to even mention Koss in the el-cheapo-grande division. I use the clip-style Koss KSC75s with my laptop--they perform far better than they have any right to, while not being so sensitive and accurate that they magnify the flaws of a crummy source (the lappy\'s headphone jack doesn\'t put out a very clean signal), and they\'re nicely lightweight and portable.

Anyhow--based on your apparent age, popeter123, unless you\'re precociously sophisticated when it comes to music, I think you\'d do far better to pick up a nice pair of sub-£25/sub-$30 headphones and spend what\'s left over on things to listen to. But of course it\'s your birthday. Good luck.

Porta Pros are the king of the sub-$60 club and I picked mine up from Amazon for $37. For sure they\'re not world-class but they\'re the best budget phones there are, IMO.

I also have some $10 Koss earbuds which actually have a level of bass in them, unlike all the other earbuds I\'ve tried (admittedly not that many).

i am getting some headphones for my birthday

my mum has given me 2 options

2 skullcandy headphones plus the leftover equiverlent of beats solo

or one pair of beats solo

if those are your ONLY options, the skulls. better value for money. but seriously, get something WORTH the same as beats, but get BETTER brand(couldnt name any, probably already above (tl;dr)) i have skullcandy hesh. good, but nothing to compare to beats. but i dont like beats do to underwhelming performance for money.

EDIT: ys skullcandys are know for poor quality build, but mine havent broken and ive had them a month or so now... they have been through alot n\'all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.