Question on CommNet pathfinding through relays

I have 6 relays at altitude of 7000km above Kerbin, all equidistant from each other. Because I'm still working my way up the tech tree in this career game, I only have HG-5 to use as relays, but each of my satellites have 16 of them. (They form a lovely flower when extended...)

Anyway, I have a ship at Mun, and this is what the path through the network looks like the picture below.

commnet_path.jpg

You can see that the ship has a weak link to the first satellite with a direct path to KSC, giving me only 13% signal strength.

I thought that the path with the overall best signal would be the path I drew in orange. Did I misunderstand how multi-hop signal strength is calculated, or does CommNet pathfinding not take signal strength into account?

Edit: Hmm. After a while it's using the path I expected it to take. Perhaps it takes a while to recalculate... Anyway, how does one delete a forum post?

Edited by tan-ce
Problem went away...

It should take signal strength into account, but as far as I know, it only recalculates every once in a while to avoid constant path switching and other unwanted side effects.

I've also heard rumors about the path calculation occasionally bugging out, but haven't seen anything conclusive about it.

Edited by renhanxue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.