Infrared Webcam Photography

Whirligig Girl

I modified a webcam to not have an IR filter. This made it nearsighted by also allows it to see in the infrared light. Unless it's wearing sunglasses, it also sees well in visible light. Note that taking pics by holding a laptop computer with a webcam plugged in isn't the easiest thing to do. Note that these aren't photoshopped at all, they're as-is straight from the webcam app.

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/2YFxI

c9DnFHE.jpg

Edited by GregroxMun

I've got an IR filterless webcam, but it seems it only works with black and white, like FLIR

Also, maybe your cam is just out of focus; is the camera lens screwable? If it is, try screwing it to find the right focus.

It's not out of focus, it's physics. A lens cannot focus a broad spectrum of light (like visible through infrared) in a single point, so the broader the spectrum, the blurrier the image. If you filter out visible wavelengths and focus on infrared then the image will be sharp(er) again.

Of course, a webcam is not a precision instrument, but an expensive photo apparatus with a good lens has the same problems. Also, lenses usually are corrected for visible light (~green), where human eyes usually are most receptive.

10 hours ago, Green Baron said:

It's not out of focus, it's physics. A lens cannot focus a broad spectrum of light (like visible through infrared) in a single point, so the broader the spectrum, the blurrier the image. If you filter out visible wavelengths and focus on infrared then the image will be sharp(er) again.

Of course, a webcam is not a precision instrument, but an expensive photo apparatus with a good lens has the same problems. Also, lenses usually are corrected for visible light (~green), where human eyes usually are most receptive.

Makes sense.

Maybe it's because I was only picking up IR, then, since I was using it in a dark room.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.