Generating heat...

Hi,

I have a problem with generating heat. I went for this simple line:

part.temperature += heatProduction * TimeWarp.fixedDeltaTime;

However, at a heat production of 10000, the heat gets stuck at ~580 or so for me. This could be based on the heat values of the ram intake which I\'m using for testing, but once I go on timewarp, the heat rises over that value and the part explodes.

Am I doing something wrong? Is heat not modeled on-rails? Both?

When the ship is off-rails, the parts radiate away heat to the atmosphere or space and also conduct heat to cooler neighboring parts. Presumably the heat radiated (conducted) is proportional to the difference between the part temperature and the ambient temperature (neighboring part temperature). So when the part gets hot enough it is radiating/conducting away as much heat as you are adding each time step.

When you engage time warp, physics, including heat transfer, is no longer simulated, and so the part is no longer cooling off. So your code increases the temperature until the part explodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.