Performance issue related to part clipping

I have lurked til I can't lurk any longer! Hello everyone.

I do have a question, When does clipping objects matter to performance? I've only partially clipped 4 MK1 crew cabins to just over 1.25m. All 8 tourist fit andI completed the contract. But I noticed it visually altered the crew cameras, cutting the poor kerbals in half. Does clipping parts have a negative effect in any way?

12 minutes ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

Oh, well I was just introducing myself and the introduction thread did state to ask any starter questions. The title was for play.

Please use a more understandable title next time

EDIT: All right that's my fault, sorry about that. It's just that generally we don't ask questions in Welcome Aboard.

Edited by Acea

1 hour ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

Does clipping parts have a negative effect in any way?

NO!

Atleast not in general.
But very heavy partclipping that involves torque buildup on joints that have parts clipped through those points are a part recipe for the Kraken attack.

Edited by Razorforce7

4 hours ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

Does clipping parts have a negative effect in any way?

This doesn't necessarily apply to your specific situation, but it's something to be aware of. It's my understanding that a ship in KSP cannot collide with itself, so for the most part the game ignores collisions between anything attached to the same parent vessel. However, if a clipped part becomes detached from the parent, either through intentional staging/undocking or as the result of a impact, that part's collider mesh will violently reassert itself. 

You know those practical joke cans with the spring loaded snakes inside them? Pretty much just like that. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.