Natural Disasters (Optional)

This is just a wild suggestion out of the blue. What if, on the hardest difficulty or being completely optional there could be Natural Disasters? These could range from a Volcano, Tornado, Hurricane, or a Tsunami on waterworlds (Kerbin and Laythe). This is just a weird suggestion that popped into my head. Earthquakes would be a little bit difficult, however there is a seismic detector for science so why not add earthquakes so that if you activate it during an earthquake, you get a load of science? Just a suggestion. Give my your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Well, this isn't SimCity.

The response of a space agency to all of these types of disasters would be to scrub the launch.  That doesn't add a lot of gameplay value.

Does if it damages the VAB like it did after hurricane Katrina during the mid 2000s. Left the space program in distress.

You need to prepare for storms. You can weather them, but not if you don't prepare.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Does if it damages the VAB like it did after hurricane Katrina during the mid 2000s. Left the space program in distress.

You need to prepare for storms. You can weather them, but not if you don't prepare.

How does that add gameplay value? I'm sure I could write a mod to make your VAB blow up at random intervals and blame it on a hurricane, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Wouldn't really fit with the game, as @Alshain said. I wouldn't mind so sort of defining characteristic for each body though, like Eve's oceans being really hot and possibly overheating your craft, or Landing legs sinking into the sands of Laythe, just anything to distinguish bodies from each other beyond textures.

26 minutes ago, Alshain said:

How does that add gameplay value? I'm sure I could write a mod to make your VAB blow up at random intervals and blame it on a hurricane, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Well realism never implied fun.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

It's a factor to consider when it comes to the health of your space program. 

How is it a factor to consider?  You have to consider that your space center will randomly explode due to hurricane?  How is that gameplay value?

9 minutes ago, Alshain said:

How is it a factor to consider?  You have to consider that your space center will randomly explode due to hurricane?  How is that gameplay value?

It only explodes if you take no action. Its no different than if you choose to not take action to steer your plane away from the mountain. There are preventative measures and choosing to ignore them will lead to problems.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

It only explodes if you take no action. Its no different than if you choose to not take action to steer your plane away from the mountain. There are preventative measures and choosing to ignore them will lead to problems.

What action would you take?  You gonna move the building?

17 minutes ago, Alshain said:

What action would you take?  You gonna move the building?

You can board buildings, windows and exits.

https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes

Plenty to do. Simply lock down and hold on for a day or two and then move on. 

Hurricanes are a prominent threat in Florida (I've always lived in Florida and in my lifetime I've experienced 3, and two of them simultaneously ). Just because there is one that doesn't mean we just assume our house will be blown away- we prepare. Wooden boards on windows. Sandbags near entrances to prevent water from flooding in. 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

6 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It's 'value' is more to do Kerbinside. That is the best way I can answer "what is its value".

Then it sounds like something the creator of KerbinSide might develop.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Then it sounds like something the creator of KerbinSide might develop.

Last I checked KS mod was adding static Kerbin structures and not weather. Think it was a different modder working on weather.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

6 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Last I checked KS mod was adding static Kerbin structures and not weather. Think it was a different modder working on weather.

Regardless, it's something best left to mods since it only adds value for modded installs.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

You're right. It increases stress and that's not fun. I play KSP to relieve stress. I don't want a game that adds more to an already stressed day...

8 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well the OP does mention (optional)

They could add optional flying broomsticks, but that doesn't make it suitable for the stock game.  

(Might be a fun mod though)

Edited by Alshain

Just now, Alshain said:

They could add optional flying broomsticks, but that doesn't make it suitable for the stock game.

Or buffers... electric floor buffers would allow our kerbals to experience what every military member living in the barracks did - the old Buffer rodeo!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.