Rocket rotating during ascent - what can I do?

2 hours ago, felcas said:

I wonder...maybe I can make this one better too with everything I learned and the new techonology.   

Incurring the risk to spoiling the fun for you some things to consider, from the top of my mind:

Spoiler

-aerodynamic nosecones instead of tail cones (less weight, more drag. Seems to be a net gain to me. Stability may be a concern.)

-alternatively put everything inside a 2,5m fairing for the ascent. For re-entry drag is a good thing.

-possible replacing some of the command pods with crew cabins for weight reduction. Keep a pointed part on top of each stack.

-for the launch vehicle itself (stage 5 and below) I'd consider a main stack with Skipper engine and a pair of side-attached Thumpers, looking for a launchpad TWR over 1,7. (I design my launch vehicles to have a so easy that my cat can do it launch procedure. Lower TWR make it trickier)

-ZcTOBZ8wjerb.jpgThe LFO tank have the highest priority, decouplers with fuel crossfeed enabled . Just enough Liquid fuel/oxidizer on top of SRB's to maintain the main engine while the SRBs burn.

BTW, I prefer this upper stage instead of the 2,5 variant.

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

Incurring the risk to spoiling the fun for you some things to consider, from the top of my mind:

Hide contents

-aerodynamic nosecones instead of tail cones (less weight, more drag. Seems to be a net gain to me. Stability may be a concern.)

-alternatively put everything inside a 2,5m fairing for the ascent. For re-entry drag is a good thing.

-possible replacing some of the command pods with crew cabins for weight reduction. Keep a pointed part on top of each stack.

-for the launch vehicle itself (stage 5 and below) I'd consider a main stack with Skipper engine and a pair of side-attached Thumpers, looking for a launchpad TWR over 1,7. (I design my launch vehicles to have a so easy that my cat can do it launch procedure. Lower TWR make it trickier)

-ZcTOBZ8wjerb.jpgThe LFO tank have the highest priority, decouplers with fuel crossfeed enabled . Just enough Liquid fuel/oxidizer on top of SRB's to maintain the main engine while the SRBs burn.

I will take them in account. I am already working on this project. :)

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

Hide contents

I used the tail cones because they just look awesome and slick and that also contribute as why I agree with you I prefer it instead of the 2.5 variant. The 2.5 was an exercice of new technology and more knowledge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.