[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I love this mod, but I have some questions!

First, can you reestablish contact with lost probes, ie if you lost contact can you reestablish it when they get in range.

Second I think this is a bug but all my menus disappeared, I still have connections and stuff but the menus are gone. I tried clicking on the dishes so they would appear but it didnt work

Thanks! Awesome mod, Im loving try to set up my network

If a Command station comes into view or range control will be re-established. Try pointing one of your nodes sat dishes at the target to increase its antenna's range.

Right click on an antenna or sat dish and see if show menu's is an option. I'm guessing you've hidden the GUI using this function and didn't know it.

I appear to be having problems installing the compatibility pack, can anyone assist me with this? Where exactly does that .dll file need to go and where does the .cfg go?

Everything goes in GameData. RemoteTech in a folder. Probe Compatibility in another. Just copy the folder and put it in there, not just the contents.

I appear to be having problems installing the compatibility pack, can anyone assist me with this? Where exactly does that .dll file need to go and where does the .cfg go?

Drop both the file and the dll into the GameData/RemoteTech/ folder.

Everything goes in GameData. RemoteTech in a folder. Probe Compatibility in another. Just copy the folder and put it in there, not just the contents.

When I open the .zip from spaceport, I have RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatability/ModuleManager.dll and RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatability/RemoteTech/RemoteTech.cfg and Readme.txt. What needs to go where? I have tried putting it all in the gamedata as is.

Sorry to repeat post I mentioned this earlier and didn't get a clear answer.

My menus for my probes aren't popping up. They can still target stuff and my whole relay system works fine, but I cant use the flight computer or see what all my probes are looking at. When I even click on the dish or antenna and it says "show menu" or "hide menu" it doesn't come up, I reinstalled the mod and it was there for my first play though before disappearing when I turned off the game and then started playing later. Right now its not a big issue but down the road, its gonna be a pain.

Am I missing something?

Tried that, Did not work. Both dll and cfg are in GameData/RemoteTech/

You're talking about ModuleManager.dll, right? It actually works pretty well, I really enjoy it so I don't muck up my original part.cfg's. You might first make sure you have the latest ModuleManager.dll: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31342-0-20-ModuleManager-1-3-for-all-your-stock-modding-needs

Doublecheck the rest of your mods as well - there were some earlier conflicts. Then arrange things like this:

KSP\

-GameData\

--ModuleManager.dll

--RemoteTech\

---Parts\

---Plugins\

---Resources\

---RemoteTech.cfg

In case it's confusing, what I was trying to say in the diagram is:

1) Put ModuleManager.dll in the KSP\GameData\ folder

2) Put the RemoteTech.cfg in the KSP\GameData\RemoteTech\ folder

3) Put RemoteTech's Parts, Plugins, and Resources folders into KSP\GameData\RemoteTech\ folder as well

If this doesn't work ... I umm, well... not sure.

Edited by Black-Talon

Sorry to repeat post I mentioned this earlier and didn't get a clear answer.

My menus for my probes aren't popping up. They can still target stuff and my whole relay system works fine, but I cant use the flight computer or see what all my probes are looking at. When I even click on the dish or antenna and it says "show menu" or "hide menu" it doesn't come up, I reinstalled the mod and it was there for my first play though before disappearing when I turned off the game and then started playing later. Right now its not a big issue but down the road, its gonna be a pain.

Am I missing something?

try going into the settings menu by pressing alt+f12 while in flight. There you have the option of resetting window positions to default. Also. note that most RT windows will disappear if the ship looses power. Leaving you only a blinking "Out of power" message in the main window.

When I open the .zip from spaceport, I have RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatability/ModuleManager.dll and RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatability/RemoteTech/RemoteTech.cfg and Readme.txt. What needs to go where? I have tried putting it all in the gamedata as is.

Just place the entire RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatability folder into GameData and it should work without a hitch.

Just place the entire RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatability folder into GameData and it should work without a hitch.

That's what I did the first time but it didn't seem to go, I'll try it again just to double check. Is there any known conflicting mods?

try going into the settings menu by pressing alt+f12 while in flight. There you have the option of resetting window positions to default. Also. note that most RT windows will disappear if the ship looses power. Leaving you only a blinking "Out of power" message in the main window.

Your first suggestion worked like a charm, back to setting up my Kerbal-Mun communications network!

That's what I did the first time but it didn't seem to go, I'll try it again just to double check. Is there any known conflicting mods?

What happens if you try just putting the config in? The latest FAR update is using Module Manager, and Deadly Re-entry also uses it, so there may be a version conflict? Try searching for other instances of the ModuleManager.dll in your ksp folder?

@JDP & Cliph

- I humbly suggest that this is not the best way to install the ProbeCompatability pack. Allow me to share some of the potential conflicts with this... I would love there to be a better consensus on this to make it easier for everyone to install mods, but as a start I only offer my observations.

- First I want to say you're absolutely right, in a completely stock game of KSP v0.20.2, adding everything to the \GameData\ folder as you suggest, will work just fine. It would look like this: http://screencast.com/t/RrMtFjQ8snq4 But a couple things have come up:

1. The version of ModuleManager.dll that shipped with RemoteTech had some conflicts with the B9 parts pack. Specifically the plugin "ExsurgentEngineering" which ships with that pack. Since that conflict arose new versions of ModuleManager were updated to ensure that conflict didn't occur. It can be found on the ModuleManager forum post.
  2. Other mods that are shipping with ModuleManager (DeadlyReentry, FerramAerospaceResearch, IoncrossCrewSupport, and ModularFuelTanks) set up the \GameData\ folder with the ModuleManager.dll naked in the \GameData\ folder: \KSP\GameData\ModuleManager.dll (Side Note: I'm confident that this is how those modders intended for their files to be installed because the GameData folder is included in their distributed .zip file; thus clearly communicating the intended folder structure.) This means that if I install RemoteTech and another Mod using ModuleManager then it would look like this. The multiple copies of ModuleManager.dll is problematic and likely causes conflicts with itself.

- Personally, I really like the direction you headed in with the ModuleManager.dll and configs in their own folder (though I would've named the base folder "ModuleManager" such that a single .dll in a generically named folder could be used by all other mods as well). But unfortunately that's not what everyone else has done so it would still be an issue. Longer term, it would be awesome to change the norm here. I haven't actually looked at the code yet but I'm a bit concerned that I suspect ModuleManager.dll is looking through all the .cfg's in child directories of it's root location. It would be nice if the scope of this location was limited to .cfg files that were intentionally meant to be leveraged by ModuleManager. This is why your installation method really apeals to me...but the norm would have to change. (EDIT: A quick glance at the ModuleManager source has me less convinced that this is how it works. Probably no reason to stop putting the ModuleManager.dll at the \GameData\ModuleManager.dll location...no reason other than my own OCD I suppose; FOLDER FOR ALL THE THINGS!)

- IMO, the best course of action in the short term would be to recommend a different installation practice. One where the ModuleManager.dll is utilized in the base location of the GameData folder, and the ProbeCompatability_ModuleManager.cfg is located in a RemoteTech folder of any name desired. This would look like this.

- So in short summary, two things should be done differently for the short term. Do these justify a maintenance release or should people just use some special instructions to install the mod without conflicts?

1. RemoteTech's ProbeCompatibility pack has an outdated ModuleManager.dll, the latest version should be used.
  2. The ModuleManager.dll should be installed in the same location as is used by other mods to prevent it from being installed more than once and conflicting with itself.
  3. (optional IMO) If a new .zip was released, I would also personally recommend a .zip file structure which included the \GameData\ folder such that there isn't any confusion about where the files/folders should be merged into KSP directory. As it is now I can see that someone might think that Parts, Plugins, and Resources folders should be merged to their legacy locations.

BTW - I'm still LOVING RemoteTech, thanks for the awesome work! I also really appreciate the use of ModuleManager, it really makes updates much easier when I don't have to figure out all the part.cfg overwrites, double checking for conflicts.

-Talon

Edited by Black-Talon
peeked at ModuleManager source - may have assumed incorrectly

Okay so I have a question. I can build a relay network around kerbin no problem. As long as I use antennas I am fine. It's when heading out to the moons and need dishes that I have problems.

I had a ship heading out to minmus, but after my path was over 25 Mm it loses contact. I have the grey unfolding dish, it should be good for double that. I am also aiming it at another sat with a dish in polar orbit. Am I doing something wrong. I really don't understand the targeting.

@JDP & Cliph

- I humbly suggest that this is not the best way to install the ProbeCompatability pack. Allow me to share some of the potential conflicts with this... I would love there to be a better consensus on this to make it easier for everyone to install mods, but as a start I only offer my observations.

- First I want to say you're absolutely right, in a completely stock game of KSP v0.20.2, adding everything to the \GameData\ folder as you suggest, will work just fine. It would look like this: http://screencast.com/t/RrMtFjQ8snq4 But a couple things have come up:

1. The version of ModuleManager.dll that shipped with RemoteTech had some conflicts with the B9 parts pack. Specifically the plugin "ExsurgentEngineering" which ships with that pack. Since that conflict arose new versions of ModuleManager were updated to ensure that conflict didn't occur. It can be found on the ModuleManager forum post.
  2. Other mods that are shipping with ModuleManager (DeadlyReentry, FerramAerospaceResearch, IoncrossCrewSupport, and ModularFuelTanks) set up the \GameData\ folder with the ModuleManager.dll naked in the \GameData\ folder: \KSP\GameData\ModuleManager.dll (Side Note: I'm confident that this is how those modders intended for their files to be installed because the GameData folder is included in their distributed .zip file; thus clearly communicating the intended folder structure.) This means that if I install RemoteTech and another Mod using ModuleManager then it would look like this. The multiple copies of ModuleManager.dll is problematic and likely causes conflicts with itself.

- Personally, I really like the direction you headed in with the ModuleManager.dll and configs in their own folder (though I would've named the base folder "ModuleManager" such that a single .dll in a generically named folder could be used by all other mods as well). But unfortunately that's not what everyone else has done so it would still be an issue. Longer term, it would be awesome to change the norm here. I haven't actually looked at the code yet but I'm a bit concerned that I suspect ModuleManager.dll is looking through all the .cfg's in child directories of it's root location. It would be nice if the scope of this location was limited to .cfg files that were intentionally meant to be leveraged by ModuleManager. This is why your installation method really apeals to me...but the norm would have to change. (EDIT: A quick glance at the ModuleManager source has me less convinced that this is how it works. Probably no reason to stop putting the ModuleManager.dll at the \GameData\ModuleManager.dll location...no reason other than my own OCD I suppose; FOLDER FOR ALL THE THINGS!)

- IMO, the best course of action in the short term would be to recommend a different installation practice. One where the ModuleManager.dll is utilized in the base location of the GameData folder, and the ProbeCompatability_ModuleManager.cfg is located in a RemoteTech folder of any name desired. This would look like this.

- So in short summary, two things should be done differently for the short term. Do these justify a maintenance release or should people just use some special instructions to install the mod without conflicts?

1. RemoteTech's ProbeCompatibility pack has an outdated ModuleManager.dll, the latest version should be used.
  2. The ModuleManager.dll should be installed in the same location as is used by other mods to prevent it from being installed more than once and conflicting with itself.
  3. (optional IMO) If a new .zip was released, I would also personally recommend a .zip file structure which included the \GameData\ folder such that there isn't any confusion about where the files/folders should be merged into KSP directory. As it is now I can see that someone might think that Parts, Plugins, and Resources folders should be merged to their legacy locations.

BTW - I'm still LOVING RemoteTech, thanks for the awesome work! I also really appreciate the use of ModuleManager, it really makes updates much easier when I don't have to figure out all the part.cfg overwrites, double checking for conflicts.

-Talon

Downloading the new MM and placing it in /gamedata/ and placing the remotetech.cfg in /gamedata/remotetech/ fixed it. It had to be the new MM cause I tried that setup before. Thanks!

Okay so I have a question. I can build a relay network around kerbin no problem. As long as I use antennas I am fine. It's when heading out to the moons and need dishes that I have problems.

I had a ship heading out to minmus, but after my path was over 25 Mm it loses contact. I have the grey unfolding dish, it should be good for double that. I am also aiming it at another sat with a dish in polar orbit. Am I doing something wrong. I really don't understand the targeting.

Do you have the dish in polar orbit pointed towards your minmus ship? Via the "list comsats" menu that is.

Do you have the dish in polar orbit pointed towards your minmus ship? Via the "list comsats" menu that is.

so I need to have a dish on the Polar SAT targeting The Minmus Sat, and the Minmus Sat targeting the Polar one. would just targeting the respective bodies work? have the polar target Minmus, and Mimus target Kerbin?

For satellites to have a connection using dishes, the they need to be pointing at each other. If your probe's dish points to satellite A, and satellite B's dish points to your probe, then there will be no connection. But if your probe points to satellite A, and satellite A also points to your probe, then satellite A can relay a signal.

You usually want to have two dishes on your probes, which point to satellites at opposite points of the same orbit. That way, whenever one satellite is behind Kerbin, the other will always be clear. Then you'd only lose a signal if the planet you're orbiting obscures the Kerbin-orbiting satellites altogether, e.g. if you're on the dark side of the Mun.

This looks like a really neat mod. How does it work with the Lasor system? I'm asking because I just loaded the Lasor last night, but this looks more real to life.

I'll load it up to see after breakfast. Food always comes first. Beam me a hoagie.

Question, is there a way to keep the 'Killrot' flightcomputer command from turning on when I turn on SAS? I find it really annoying when I just want to use my SAS modules to dampen my rotation and it starts firing all my RCS thrusters.