[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

So here is a question. I always think I have a good spread of sats but then I go fly a mission and when I return I find my sats are slowly clumping together. How do you get good coverage and keep your sats all in perfect orbit together. Or will I always have to realign my sat setup every mission?

RemoteTech killrot works exactly like regular ASAS (albeit a lot less wobbly due to it using the old MechJeb PID controller in stead of the stock one). The flight computer will only fire RCS if you have actively enabled RCS.

So is there a way to have it not tied to the 'T' and 'F' keys to activate? Basically I want to make it so Killrot is only active when I click it in the flight control window but still have the ability to turn on my SAS modules with 'T'.

I'm not sure if this is a feature discovery or not but I set a flight computer scheduled burn on a remote controlled part and I believe (I walked away) that it performed the programmed maneuver despite not being in KSC contact during the actual event.

Is this really what happened? If so...cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. If not, please aaaaaaaaaaaaadd it!

I'm not sure if this is a feature discovery or not but I set a flight computer scheduled burn on a remote controlled part and I believe (I walked away) that it performed the programmed maneuver despite not being in KSC contact during the actual event.

Is this really what happened? If so...cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. If not, please aaaaaaaaaaaaadd it!

If you did a burn with a delay on it, the burn will execute as long as the connection was there when the command was received. It then waits the additional delay to perform the burn.

Here's a somewhat older screenshot of how the flight computer works now :3 (GUI is a bit unpolished, I know.)

5SwaDgCl.png

Edited by Cilph

Is there a page where I can read about the flight computer and how it works? I just downloaded, getting my first satellite into geosynchronous now - but curious to learn more :) Looks great! I restarted a new game with this mod, life support, and deadly re-entry - should be fun :P

Is there a page where I can read about the flight computer and how it works? I just downloaded, getting my first satellite into geosynchronous now - but curious to learn more :) Looks great! I restarted a new game with this mod, life support, and deadly re-entry - should be fun :P

It's much like MechJeb's SmartASS plus throttle control except that it incorporates the signal delay.

Throttle control window includes: a slider for the rocket's throttle setting during the burn, a burn duration box - hit the lable to change from time duration to DeltaV duration, A box for putting in your delay to wait before the burn in seconds, and send button

Attitude control: Rad for pointing Radially out from/towards the surface, Nrm for pointing Normal/anti-normal towards the poles, Prograde/retrograde, manuver node and manual Navball heading/attitude.

Click the title of Attitude Control window to switch it into Rover Control: you can tell it how far to drive in Metres or to turn to how many degrees off your current heading amd how sharply to turn with the slider. There is a button to put it in reverse as well. The rover will apply its handbrakes when finished with your command.

Awesome, thank you for the tips. I haven't used mechjeb before so this is totally new, but I love the computer aspect. It's already helping me hit those markers spot on and saving my back and eyes from hunching in to the screen :P. It's realistic too, as long as you have a signal from mission control (or any signal with accurate telemetry data), you should be able to execute those kind of precision commands using a flight computer.

One more quick question, I tried searching the thread but didn't see anything:

If your ship/probe is in orbit and you had set it to an anti-normal heading, then kill rotation - then you switch to another nearby ship/probe, will the first ship maintain it's killrotation command? (Not sure if it loads in within the 2.5km range).

Thanks! (Loving this mod by the way, already have two satellites in orbit, one geosynchronously over KSP and the other in a similar size polar orbit.)

I have an issue.

I made a Space Shuttle with a cargo bay and a Remote Tech satelitte inside it. When it's time to launch, I can't control the shuttle no matter how many times I click on the pod and select "Control from here". I made the shuttle before making the satelite.

I have an issue.

I made a Space Shuttle with a cargo bay and a Remote Tech satelitte inside it. When it's time to launch, I can't control the shuttle no matter how many times I click on the pod and select "Control from here". I made the shuttle before making the satelite.

I'm brand new, but my guess is that your parent ship doesn't have any antennae to receive a command signal after they're separated. Just a guess!

I'm brand new, but my guess is that your parent ship doesn't have any antennae to receive a command signal after they're separated. Just a guess!

Space Shuttles are manned.

For some reason, Remote Tech acts as if the command satelitte part is the root of the craft, when it's cleary not. It's not the first time it happens. Remote Tech command pods will somehhow turn into the root part regardless of which part was the root in the first place.

Screenshot:

ASV748U.png

Edited by MR4Y

Space Shuttles are manned.

For some reason, Remote Tech acts as if the command satelitte part is the root of the craft, when it's cleary not. It's not the first time it happens. Remote Tech command pods will somehhow turn into the root part regardless of which part was the root in the first place.

Screenshot:

ASV748U.png

Click 'Local Control'

If your ship/probe is in orbit and you had set it to an anti-normal heading, then kill rotation - then you switch to another nearby ship/probe, will the first ship maintain it's killrotation command? (Not sure if it loads in within the 2.5km range).

If the new craft is sufficiently far away, the old craft will not rotate at all, because the game does not process physics for far-off objects in orbit. If it's nearby enough for rotation to be possible, I think the SAS will remain turned on.

I don't know if you've tried it yet, but you can use flight computer commands even when the probe is out of range, so long as you gave the command while it was in range. For example, if you need to burn on the dark side of the Mun, enter your burn time while you're still in contact, and enter the time it will take to reach the point you need to burn at. Once you confirm the command, it will be executed even if you later lose contact.

If the new craft is sufficiently far away, the old craft will not rotate at all, because the game does not process physics for far-off objects in orbit. If it's nearby enough for rotation to be possible, I think the SAS will remain turned on.

I don't know if you've tried it yet, but you can use flight computer commands even when the probe is out of range, so long as you gave the command while it was in range. For example, if you need to burn on the dark side of the Mun, enter your burn time while you're still in contact, and enter the time it will take to reach the point you need to burn at. Once you confirm the command, it will be executed even if you later lose contact.

I still need to play with the capabilities more, like learning how to remotely do a burn or something on another vessel, or giving a command (If thats possible; or just learn to utilize delays). So far I've been flying all my satellites, but making good use of the flight computer for accurate burns :D Thanks for the tips, can't wait to try it - but sleep is beckoning :(

Doesn't make any difference. The whole craft still act as if the Remote Tech probe was the root part.

If you have a single, manned vessel with multiple pods and multiple probe bodies, clicking Local Control will do as it says - give you Local Control. Which means control without signal delay and without requiring a signal.

If you have a single, manned vessel with multiple pods and multiple probe bodies, clicking Local Control will do as it says - give you Local Control. Which means control without signal delay and without requiring a signal.

But the 'stage' light remains purple, which led me to think that I had no control.

Attitude control: Rad for pointing Radially out from/towards the surface, Nrm for pointing Normal/anti-normal towards the poles, Prograde/retrograde, manuver node and manual Navball heading/attitude.

It's worth noting that Rad+/- and Nml+/- are relative to the plane/tangent of your orbit, not to the equator of the body orbited. This makes the latter very useful for inclination changes, and the former useless for takeoff.

I used it with the Lazor system and with Mechjab and when it goes out of range it will not give control no matter what. I clicked the button next to the flight computer and no good.

Ok, question. Since this is a new mod to me and I haven't had a lot of ships invested, should I just wait for the new rewrite/update?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/16347-0-20-RemoteTech-Relay-Network-%E2%80%93-V-0-5-0-1?p=438742&viewfull=1#post438742

thats what it's meant to do Gary, stop you having any control input when you're out of contact with a probe controlled craft.

for a kerbal "manned" craft, click the local control to have the kerbal control it.

But the 'stage' light remains purple, which led me to think that I had no control.

to properly delay stage activation It was necessary to disable all stock controls, including staging. The staging that takes place while RemoteTech runs is actually handled by a different input method. It's just made to feel like stock input handling (plus signal delays if applicable)

...Ok, question. Since this is a new mod to me and I haven't had a lot of ships invested, should I just wait for the new rewrite/update?

Of course there are no guarantees. But the current plan is for the next version to be backwards compatible. You will probably have to cycle through all your vessels to properly load any new persistence data.

to properly delay stage activation It was necessary to disable all stock controls, including staging. The staging that takes place while RemoteTech runs is actually handled by a different input method. It's just made to feel like stock input handling (plus signal delays if applicable)

Of course there are no guarantees. But the current plan is for the next version to be backwards compatible. You will probably have to cycle through all your vessels to properly load any new persistence data.

Even so, I still have problems with the satelites. I wasn't able to launch a single one yet. once I'm at the height, the satellite can't be controlled when decoupled from the SSTO/Rocket.

Even so, I still have problems with the satelites. I wasn't able to launch a single one yet. once I'm at the height, the satellite can't be controlled when decoupled from the SSTO/Rocket.

That would be because you've passed below the horizon of KSC and Kerbin is therefore blocking the signal. To launch a relay satellite without a relay already in place, you'll have to either use a massive 3 kerbal launch stage, complete with its own antennae and remote command SPU (allowing it to function as a command center for your satellite) or use the CAPFLYER method of burning until you've attained a high enough apoapsis, then plan the circularization burn with maneuver nodes and use the flight computer to set up the satellite to execute the burn at the correct time. Since you set up the flight plan for the satellite while it had a connection, it doesn't matter that it will have lost connection at apoapsis, the flight computer will autonomously follow the flight plan.

I've still yet to figure out the flight computer, the interface is super confusing to me.

Like how do I bring a maneuver node into it?

I try to do it without the maneuver node. I clicked retrograde, slide the throttle to 100%, and typed in an amount of delta-v but I could never figure out how to send the command.

So I just continually don't use the flight computer.