[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I want to play with this, but I can't figure it out. Why is it necessary at all to use a remote command module?..

Read the OP. A remote command module allows a vessel to function as a command station (providing it has enough crew). This allows you to set up remote command stations to minimize signal delay. Just try flying a mission to Eeloo with a signal path going all the way back to Kerbin and you'll get an idea of how difficult it can be to maneuver under heavy signal delays. The flight computer goes a long way to make things easier, but stuff like landing is almost impossible unless you have near instant controls (or are landing on a planet where you can use parachutes).

Ah, signal delay. That makes sense. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out why my satellite can't get a signal. It has power, omni antenna and a sat dish pointed at KSC, is in geosync above KSC, but apparently is not in range.

I have the regular remote tech add on and the one that gives stock probes the remote capability too. My sat has one of those stock probe cores, and the Remote Command module, because I didn't realise they did the same thing. Could they be interfering with each other in some way?

One more question.

What is the orde to aim the ship to the pro node? I pulse "node", but the ship turn to pro grade

In RemoteTech 2, ships can't orient to a node yet; that functionality is planned but not implemented. (Hence why RemoteTech 2 hasn't been fully released yet.) Instead, they just orient prograde.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find a answer so far. Is there a way to 'fix' the SAS? With RemoteTech it won't let me make any inputs while SAS is on, not so bad for space-craft, but it's making planes very unenjoyable to fly, does anyone know how to change this?

No, and there isn't likely to be one--RemoteTech 2 is the 0.21 version; RemoteTech 1 is not intended for compatibility with 0.21.

Does that mean that RT2 is working properly now, or can you still not have more than two relays?

Does that mean that RT2 is working properly now, or can you still not have more than two relays?

Sadly, no. The moment RT2 is sufficiently bug-free I will change the OP to reflect this. There are, at least, still a couple of bugs with the relay network backend and some tweaks needed to the flight computer.

Sadly, no. The moment RT2 is sufficiently bug-free I will change the OP to reflect this. There are, at least, still a couple of bugs with the relay network backend and some tweaks needed to the flight computer.

even with that said...I'm still having fun testing it out. Cant wait to see it at its full potential. Didnt have this game before .21. So i'm excited for the mod to be complete. Thanks for all the hard work.

How do I control my probes during landing if signal delay is very long?

For now: Not.

In the future:

Write a landing program using the planned flight computer in RT2 or kOS(if that gets support) and have it execute.

Mechjeb (don't play with MJ myself but I'm sure it has some kind of landing function).

You can also bypass the problem by going to the remotetech settings and cranking up the speed of light by a factor 1000. This'll allow you to control craft without delay but retains the need for a relay network.

You can also bypass the problem by going to the remotetech settings and cranking up the speed of light by a factor 1000. This'll allow you to control craft without delay but retains the need for a relay network.

I actually think that this could be how squad includes satellites. Programing a landing might be too hard/complicated for many users, using mechjeb way too easy. But needing to have line of sight (or power consuming relays) to mission control for probes to work is cool and appealing to many I think. And through direct control of the satellites the player can still pretend he programmed it...

My only issue with this (i'm seeing it only with ships that are remote-controlled) is that the throttle doesn't obey the cut off command very quickly. As i do a manoeuver, it takes several seconds to get to max throttle and several seconds to get off it, basically making every manoeuver a mess...

EDIT: It basically goes all jittery when throttling up/down and overshoots when i hit x to turn everything off, by a few clear seconds with no time compression

And how does one program a burn in m/s in the new version ?

Should i mention this only happens when Mechjeb's on the ship ?

EDIT2: it's bug #15 on your bugtracker

Edited by Mokmo
extra info then found on bugtracker

When you only want the challenge of setting up a relay network but not that time delay, you could set the speed of light to a high multiple like 1000. This will make all actions almost instant.

Fabian

Of course you could, but I had a probe on Eeloo before I even had a Kerbal on another planet. So putting a command station in Jool orbit wouldn't have fit into my space program.

I tried out RT2 last night, seemed to do what was expected which was good. However, I'm unsure what I should be looking at from a test point of view and some explanation of the new interface/icons would be nice.

From my understanding most of the UI is still not functioning as intended. The only thing that I've gotten to work on the flight computer is a burn w/o direction change. I hear that the artificial delay works, although I haven't been able to get it to, regardless of pressing 'enter' all over the place. :)

Fair warning though, the burn only takes a duration. So if you're looking to burn for a specified delta v, you'll have to crunch that conversion yourself.

But I've been away from home for 2 weeks, so things could have changed.

(Ugh, need to post more... this whole probation thing sucks)

Any update on RT2? I've been watching this for awhile, awaiting my return to play it until I can use RT with it. I see that there has been no activity on github in 2 weeks, should I continue waiting or is a fairly working release(mainly the computer, want to use that to land probes :) ) still down the road a bit?

I'm strongly considering using ProgCom and treat unmanned probes as "computer control only". When RT2 comes out, that'll be for remotely flying probes by hand and/or more complex programmed missions that require the occasional human input.

So how does getting a command center around a planet, say Jool, would work ? i'm using RT2 And i just sent 3 guys in Joolian orbit, connecting them to pretty much all i already had over there, still on the old signal delay time...

So how does getting a command center around a planet, say Jool, would work ? i'm using RT2 And i just sent 3 guys in Joolian orbit, connecting them to pretty much all i already had over there, still on the old signal delay time...

I think in RT2 you need 6 guys on your ship to make it a command center...