[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Wait, okay, I don't really understand what's happening here.

I have three ships.

1) In orbit around the Mun is a craft with a RemoteCommand Mk2, a crew, and a dish. The dish range is 15Mm, the ship's orbit is 15km. The dish is active, powered, and aimed at:

2) A surface lander. The lander is manned, but also has a dish (aimed at the prior vessel) and two active, powered OmniAntennas with 8Mm range. It also has a probecore built into it. Note that at this time, even when the command ship is directly overhead, it continues to say 'No Contact', and it has no remote control capability.

3) A remote probe, sitting next to the lander, with a dipole antenna. Powered. Has no contact.

What am I missing here?

Edited by Frostiken

I think you need three Kerbals in the craft with the RemoteCommand. Does this apply to your ship? And check if the antenna on the probe is working (I guess power should be there as it would say has no power instead).

Fabian

I am still struggling with this could someone give me some ascent details i could punch into mechjeb for the life of me i cant get this to establish contact so0n as i circularize its all over

Check out my post on how to use MechJeb nodes with RemoteTech: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/16347-0-20-RemoteTech-Relay-Network-–-V-0-5-0-1?p=399877&viewfull=1#post399877

Using this, I put up 15 satellites in 1 1/2 hours, all in the same orbit.

People often say using MechJeb takes the fun away, but, actually, you have to give it some thought as to what sequence you want to run and when. Far more realistic than flying your rockets with a joystick. IMO of course :sticktongue:

Anyone know where we can modify the 3 crew limit for the remote command? 1 or 2 seems a much more realistic number (considering the crew you're commanding from can't do anything anyway unless you're controlling them instead of the probe/rover)

Jep in GameData/RemoteTech/Plugins/PluginData/RemoteTech/Settings.cfg is an entry “RemoteCommand Crew = 3â€Â. I would suggest to edit this to whatever you like. Or Mod+F11 to change this ingame.

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Concerning the compatability patch. Which folder goes to GameData? The one titled “RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatibility†or “RemoteTech�

Thanks tomato!

Edited by Major Kom

Concerning the compatability patch. Which folder goes to GameData? The one titled “RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatibility†or “RemoteTech�

RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatibility

@JDP

Just letting all parties know that there is a compatibility issue between the probe compatibility pack aka ModuleManager and the new B9 release.

Okay about my strange problem: I pointed the 50 Mm dish at one of the three other not working GSO Satellites and suddenly everything comes online, even when the other satellite hasn't a dish targeted at my satellite.

This is a part of my save: http://pastebin.com/cfmVK43t No satellite has a connection except Heru'ur II D. But when you point a 50 Mm antenna at Heru'ur II A or Heru'ur II C (the two GSO satellites 90° ahead/behind) I get a connection to all satellites (of course except for Heru'ur IIa and Heru'ur I A, but those have either no antenna available or behind Mun)

Fabian

xzise,

not strange at all it is working exactly the way it is documented, and the instructions say it will.

if you point a dish at an ship that only has an antenna, the effective range of that antenna will be doubled.

xzise,

not strange at all it is working exactly the way it is documented, and the instructions say it will.

if you point a dish at an ship that only has an antenna, the effective range of that antenna will be doubled.

The effective range... what, overall? Or only for purposes of bouncing the signal? Honestly that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The directional transmission and reception of a dish should be required to get the maximum range. Omniantennas should be able to *receive* a dish signal - perhaps at a range shorter than the maximum listed - but not *transmit* one to a dish, not at ranges beyond the maximum listed.

The effective range... what, overall? Or only for purposes of bouncing the signal? Honestly that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The directional transmission and reception of a dish should be required to get the maximum range. Omniantennas should be able to *receive* a dish signal - perhaps at a range shorter than the maximum listed - but not *transmit* one to a dish, not at ranges beyond the maximum listed.

actually you can use a dish to talk to omni directional antennas. The dish has a longer distance transmit/recieve ability so it can hear the omni from much farther away, and the omni can pick up signals sent to it from a directional antenna just as easly as from a omnidirectional antenna. This doesn't actually increase the range of the omni but it does allow for communication at a much longer range then between just to omnidirectional antennas.

you will note that remote tech models this by increasing the range of the omni but only for the dish thats pointed at it. its range is not increased globaly

Edited by toril

xzise,

No it doesn't. All GSO satellites have a 5 Mm dipole antenna. Now Pythagoras says: c² = a² + b² and a = b = 2.686 Mm which gives us a c of under 5 Mm (≃ 3.7 Mm) well within the range of the antenna.

Fabian

Check out my post on how to use MechJeb nodes with RemoteTech: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/16347-0-20-RemoteTech-Relay-Network-–-V-0-5-0-1?p=399877&viewfull=1#post399877

People often say using MechJeb takes the fun away, but, actually, you have to give it some thought as to what sequence you want to run and when. Far more realistic than flying your rockets with a joystick. IMO of course :sticktongue:

you'd be surprised, but in any case you're taking the !!!FUN!!! away.... and besides only during liftoff are rockets on a form of autopilot, most manned vessels relied quite a bit on their pilots... (there were quite a few unmanned vessles that were manually piloted though a lot of time that didn't go so well (see MIR and the incident that occured when a progress slammed into it)... ) there were manual overrides even during launch.

you'd be surprised, but in any case you're taking the !!!FUN!!! away.... and besides only during liftoff are rockets on a form of autopilot, most manned vessels relied quite a bit on their pilots... (there were quite a few unmanned vessles that were manually piloted though a lot of time that didn't go so well (see MIR and the incident that occured when a progress slammed into it)... ) there were manual overrides even during launch.

Steering full manual with a keyboard isn't fun at all though (at least for me, I can't speak for the rest of you.) I prefer to use MJ to schedule maneuvers (mainly because you can't manually plan a burn more than one orbital period in the future) and let it help me hold my course, but I still manually control the burn itself. Even so, I find myself having to give it a helping hand in steering, particularly with launches, because it's not perfect. Since MJ2 has been integrated with the maneuver node system so well, it makes this 'semi-manual' approach much more doable than in the past when you usually had to go full auto or full manual.

Beyond that, it's really another 'beating a dead horse' situation. There's camps on both sides and in between. But I think those that would accuse someone of 'cheating' in a single player sandbox game that has no proper campaign or objective to be a bit silly.

Beyond that, it's really another 'beating a dead horse' situation. There's camps on both sides and in between. But I think those that would accuse someone of 'cheating' in a single player sandbox game that has no proper campaign or objective to be a bit silly.

It would help if everyone would just pick their preference and get on with it. No one is accusing anyone of anything, it is just how some players feel about the addition for MechJeb. If that does not apply to you, go and have fun with it but please accept that it might not be fun for other people.

Does anyone know of a limit on the number of remotetech objects that can be in play? ive used the same model of rocket to lift off ~7 times before and now i cant seem to get the rocket past 3km in height before it cuts out. Please help:(

Loved it from the start and it's still at the top of my mod list but i am wondering if a "lite" version could be made in order to avoid lag. Isn't it the delay of the signal that causes that lag? Simply drawing a line between the satellites would be sufficient. Won't it work if it considered the simple condition to be "connected" to be functional without actually transferring the orders? I don't know much about what takes the most resources but it seems to do a lot of calculations that aren't absolutely necessary to the mod even if it is more realistic...

Does anyone know of a limit on the number of remotetech objects that can be in play? ive used the same model of rocket to lift off ~7 times before and now i cant seem to get the rocket past 3km in height before it cuts out. Please help:(

Do you have a dipole antenna on there? The stock ones have 2km range when inactive and will snap off when flown with in atmosphere.

Loved it from the start and it's still at the top of my mod list but i am wondering if a "lite" version could be made in order to avoid lag. Isn't it the delay of the signal that causes that lag? Simply drawing a line between the satellites would be sufficient. Won't it work if it considered the simple condition to be "connected" to be functional without actually transferring the orders? I don't know much about what takes the most resources but it seems to do a lot of calculations that aren't absolutely necessary to the mod even if it is more realistic...

What do you mean exactly? The input delay is to simulate speed of light transmissions, and you can turn this off in the config file. What do you mean by lag if not that?

Edited by Cilph

No it doesn't. All GSO satellites have a 5 Mm dipole antenna. Now Pythagoras says: c² = a² + b² and a = b = 2.686 Mm which gives us a c of under 5 Mm (≃ 3.7 Mm) well within the range of the antenna.

Fabian

Remember that you need to take in account Kerbins radius of 0.6Mm when doing these calculations, so therefore c is equal to 4.9Mm, so it could be possible that the satellites have a greater than 90 degree phase angle from the one that is in range of KSC and thus won't complete a network.

However, I have a similar problem/question.

I have four satellites with 2 dipole 5Mm antennae each in geostationary orbit, and they all connect to each other no problem. I have placed a microsat (8Mm antennae) in a 9Mm orbit to try to cover the mun's orbit (I will eventually place a whole bunch of them) but even though the distance between my microsat and one of my geostationary sattellites is less than 8Mm, it is still out of contact. So when there is a connection between two different (specifically these two) antennae, is the maximum range between them the range of the shortest (5Mm) or the longest (8Mm)? The antenna on the microsat are extended and have power.