[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I uninstalled B9 and it works perfectly. A conflict with ExsurgentEngineering provided with B9.

Some generous soul made modded copies of the stock parts and uploaded them here:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/remotetech-seperate-probe-parts-3/

I can validate that they work, although I've not tried anything fancy like replacing the stock part .cfg files with the modified ones from that pack.

The conflict seems to be between B9's ExsurgentEngineering and Module Manager, so the bad news is any mod that uses module manager is affected, the good is that the old fashioned way (grueling manual labor) still works.

I uninstalled B9 and it works perfectly. A conflict with ExsurgentEngineering provided with B9.

I have released a probe part set that doesnt use the modular manager. its still up but I have sent a PM to one of the mods for permission because I am redistributing stock parts which JDP isnt sure if its safe to distribute them or not

Awesome Mod JDP, really makes you think about what you launch and where to.

But on the other hand, it can also push you into frustration after putting so much time and effort designing, launching, and in my case burning ion drives to escape Kerbin, to find that a dish targeting Kerbin cannot receive from KSC.

For Kod's sake, If you targeting Kerbin and go beyond omni range but still in Kerbin SOI, please include KSC as source signal. At least KSC man!!

btw, what's KSC range?? and amplitude coverage? At close range it looks like 180º all around. Does this extend into deep space?

I have released a probe part set that doesnt use the modular manager. its still up but I have sent a PM to one of the mods for permission because I am redistributing stock parts which JDP isnt sure if its safe to distribute them or not

Thanks zgrillo2004. I just hope that ExsurgentEngineering and ModuleManager figure out their differences. Several mods could benefit greatly from this.

Awesome Mod JDP, really makes you think about what you launch and where to.

But on the other hand, it can also push you into frustration after putting so much time and effort designing, launching, and in my case burning ion drives to escape Kerbin, to find that a dish targeting Kerbin cannot receive from KSC.

For Kod's sake, If you targeting Kerbin and go beyond omni range but still in Kerbin SOI, please include KSC as source signal. At least KSC man!!

btw, what's KSC range?? and amplitude coverage? At close range it looks like 180º all around. Does this extend into deep space?

According to the ksp wiki tutorial, it is 5Mm and 180 degrees. Back in 0.19 I designed a satellite dish truck that can be deployed by cargo plane that carried a Sat 9000 interplanetary dish and a crew of three. If you deployed one of those from the SPH hat should boost KSCs range considerably.

Used this to summon frost giants to try and vanquish today's 30C indoor temperature demons:

gYXRO4xl.png

Effectiveness yet to be determined. Cast a second spell from the tracking station. Hopefully more productivity tomorrow D=.

i like b9. i just uninstalled exsurgent, i can live without the vectored thrust and sabre engines the rest of those parts are to cool though :P

Edited by toril

So 5Mm range on KSC... dam krackns. Excelent idea a truck fitted with a GigaDish just parked outside, should reach the stars and beyond!

Thanks 'Read have Read'. Pro tip

Used this to summon frost giants to try and vanquish today's 30C indoor temperature demons:

gYXRO4xl.png

Effectiveness yet to be determined. Cast a second spell from the tracking station. Hopefully more productivity tomorrow D=.

Wow, how can you display all communication lines?

So 5Mm range on KSC... dam krackns. Excelent idea a truck fitted with a GigaDish just parked outside, should reach the stars and beyond!

Thanks 'Read have Read'. Pro tip

Hmmm, wouldn't be easier to have the high gain antennae on your satellites around Kerbin? So you still have contact when KSC is on the other side of the planet? My four GSO relais satellites have all 2 50 Mm and 1 50 Gm antennae, so I contact always Mun/Minmus and my (future) solar relais system.

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Wow, how can you display all communication lines?

It's because I'm rewriting RemoteTech from scratch :cool:. I told JDP not to mention anything until I could show stuff. I think a rendered network works :P

It's because I'm rewriting RemoteTech from scratch :cool:. I told JDP not to mention anything until I could show stuff. I think a rendered network works :P

Out of curiosity, how are you changing it, other than the comms line. Is it under the hood optimisations and the like?

Out of curiosity, how are you changing it, other than the comms line. Is it under the hood optimisations and the like?

• Rewrite from scratch to make it easier to maintain; more modular, more event-based.
  • Using KSP API features that weren't around when RT was first developed;
  • As you can see, full network rendering. You can filter it by type of connection or turn it off completely. Works from the tracking station, and no camera rotation lag;
  • Revised UI. KSP is not Eve Online / Spreadsheet Simulator;
  • Revised dish targeting (will probably add multiple targets to replace the planet targeting system);
  • Rebalanced range/consumption;
  • Hopefully some stock looking antennas (volunteers?);
  • Better support for stuff like Figaro's, ISA Mapsat, ProgCom and more;
  • If ProgCom support is not enough, LUA scripting a la Expression2;

No guarantees though, I've barely run anything by JDP as he's been busy with this thesis and stuff.

Dev announcement

Since the cat is now out of the bag, I can formally announce what you now already know.

While I've been (and still am) busy with my bachelors thesis, Cilph has been working tirelessly on a complete rewrite of RemoteTech.

Since the current plugin was developed as a learning project and evolved over time, as more stuff became possible in KSP and I learned more about coding, the current source is somewhat of a mess. There are also a lot of programming tricks I simply don't know yet, as my knowledge of C# has come with the experience of developing RT and not from any kind of formal training in Programming.

So I've welcomed Cilph's project with open arms. We have stayed in touch whenever I had the time from my thesis, and I've provided whatever insight I had to provide, mostly just regarding the KSP API and save/load of antenna data. What he's working on is shaping up to be a whole new level of awesome for RemoteTech and my current plan is in fact for future versions to use his source. We see pretty well eye to eye when it comes to the core gameplay mechanics of relay network implementation.

So it's pretty safe to say that something awesomely huge will be coming in the future of relay network plugins. This won't be an incremental step from RT 0.5.0.1 to 0.5.0.2, but more like the leap from The_Duck's relay network plugin to the first version of RemoteTech (minus rookie mistakes and bugs).

Is it compatible with 0.5.0.1 or do I have to start a new game again :( ?...

Most likely it wont be compatible.

As Cilph said, he's rewriting the entire plugin from the ground up and RT data will be handled differently and a lot more orderly. The way dish/SPU data is stored within KSP remains pretty much the same as the current plugin, but fields and classes will probably be named differently to comply with a more standardized naming convention. The old names where added over many months by someone without any formal training in programming (your's truly), and thus don't follow any convention beside what suited me at the time of writing.

That being said, I will of course have backward compatibility in mind, and I will see what I can do. But it's not a priority. I will of course let you all know about any compatibility issues before any new version of RemoteTech is released. If it turns out you'll have to sacrifice your old worlds, I'd advise you do so. It will be worth it :D

-JDP

Dev announcement

Since the cat is now out of the bag, I can formally announce what you now already know.

While I've been (and still am) busy with my bachelors thesis, Cilph has been working tirelessly on a complete rewrite of RemoteTech.

Since the current plugin was developed as a learning project and evolved over time, as more stuff became possible in KSP and I learned more about coding, the current source is somewhat of a mess. There are also a lot of programming tricks I simply don't know yet, as my knowledge of C# has come with the experience of developing RT and not from any kind of formal training in Programming.

So I've welcomed Cilph's project with open arms. We have stayed in touch whenever I had the time from my thesis, and I've provided whatever insight I had to provide, mostly just regarding the KSP API and save/load of antenna data. What he's working on is shaping up to be a whole new level of awesome for RemoteTech and my current plan is in fact for future versions to use his source. We see pretty well eye to eye when it comes to the core gameplay mechanics of relay network implementation.

So it's pretty safe to say that something awesomely huge will be coming in the future of relay network plugins. This won't be an incremental step from RT 0.5.0.1 to 0.5.0.2, but more like the leap from The_Duck's relay network plugin to the first version of RemoteTech (minus rookie mistakes and bugs).

Most likely it wont be compatible.

As Cilph said, he's rewriting the entire plugin from the ground up and RT data will be handled differently and a lot more orderly. The way dish/SPU data is stored within KSP remains pretty much the same as the current plugin, but fields and classes will probably be named differently to comply with a more standardized naming convention. The old names where added over many months by someone without any formal training in programming (your's truly), and thus don't follow any convention beside what suited me at the time of writing.

That being said, I will of course have backward compatibility in mind, and I will see what I can do. But it's not a priority. I will of course let you all know about any compatibility issues before any new version of RemoteTech is released. If it turns out you'll have to sacrifice your old worlds, I'd advise you do so. It will be worth it :D

-JDP

I couldn't care less about naming conventions. Your code was just genuinely hard to read. As for backwards compatibility, most can be converted with a python script. I'll see if I can supply that. Worst case you have to just reload each sat in cheatmode to turn it back on.

Can any one help me. In my command center with the three kerbals and the orange ring i go to press the control button to take over a rover which is connected. When i click it the window will pop up for a second then disappear i tried every button, but it did not work. Any ideas?

Just replace the 'ModuleCommand' module in the part cfg:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 0

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.02777778

}

with the remotetech one:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRemoteTechSPU

minimumCrew = 0

EnergyDrain = 0.02777778

isRemoteCommand = false

}

If you want to keep the power consumption the same, just make sure the value 'EnergyDrain' in the remotetech module is the same as the 'rate' value in the original 'ModuleCommand' module.

Edited by Awaras

Can any one help me. In my command center with the three kerbals and the orange ring i go to press the control button to take over a rover which is connected. When i click it the window will pop up for a second then disappear i tried every button, but it did not work. Any ideas?

It doesn't really work that way. This mod doesn't allow you to "remote control" a ship from far away. What it does do is add a layer of complexity to KSP in that your unmanned vehicles MUST have a line of communications back to a RemoteTech Command node. Unmanned vehicles that do not have, or lose, this line of communications are not controllable in the normal KSP ship view.