[0.16 STOCK] Munitaur II

Hzb9k.png

Good evening, fellow Kerbonauts! Today I am pleased to introduce the M-2/C 'Munitaur II', an advanced two stage lander.

Capable of reaching the Mun, Minmus, or even both in one mission, this vehicle is guaranteed to satisfy all your landing needs.

d7c8t.png

Here is the lander attached to the Wyvern launch vehicle. I've been able to fly it to the Mun while keeping the throttle

maxed as much as possible, so it should still make it after the fuel consumption bug is fixed.

zZIQg.png

It's also quite durable. I've run it at full throttle from launch to munar insertion many times without a single decoupler

failure. It does tend to oscillate in a disturbing way however.

6sHek.png

If you like to keep useless debris out of orbit, you'll apreciate that the Munitaur is completely debris-less. Mostly.

The final stage of the launcher can be left in orbit, but it's easy to crash it into the munar surface. Obviously, the descent stage

is also left behind on the surface.

hnOw3.png

Personally, I'm very proud of this lander. It's easy to fly, it carries both an ASAS unit and RCS without a ridiculous looking

tower sitting on the nose, and is just a good, all-around Mun lander. And I just think it looks cool.

UPDATE:

I used some of your suggestions and improved the design of the Munitaur. The launcher has more fuel and RCS thrusters on the final booster, and I also managed to cram an extra RCS tank into the ascent stage.

Edited by Foursh

What a beautiful rocket! :)

I wish someday I'll be able to finally build a rocket that won't have to melt my motherboard to get into orbit, and leave a trail of fuel tanks on the way to the Mun as if my astronauts were Hansel and Gretel...

Nice and tidy - I like it. My only aesthetic issue visible on these screenshots is the struts connecting the lander to the the fuel tanks. Never been a fan of such long struts.

If I'm not mistaken you have added parachutes to your boosters though. Always nice!

The craft file should be attached. Can you not download it?

I did download it. (I didn't notice the link at first) I took it for a flight. Very nice with lots of fuel to spare. I liked how easy it was to drive with little to no oscillation from the SAS. The lander itself should be able to do many maneuvers with all that fuel.

Great job! Looks cool too!

Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Nice and tidy - I like it. My only aesthetic issue visible on these screenshots is the struts connecting the lander to the the fuel tanks. Never been a fan of such long struts.

If I'm not mistaken you have added parachutes to your boosters though. Always nice!

You are correct, good sir. Reusable boosters FTW!

As for the struts, you may have a point. It's mostly just personal preference I guess, but it would look a bit cleaner without them, and I don't think they do much anyways.

What height are you orbiting at before making the transfer to Munar orbit? It doesn't seem to have quite enough fuel to make it.

I usually orbit between 72km and 75km.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't even get out of the atmosphere with this thing. I get about half way out and it doesn't seem to have enough power to keep going to it gets pulled back down.

I... I'm not sure either.:confused:

Are you staging it properly? The first few boosters drain pretty quickly.

I am in love with the Ascent/Return Stage!! Well Done :D

Thanks! That's my favorite part too! :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31072[/ATTACH]

Thankyou SO MUCH. I've made Kerbin, Mun and Kerbol orbiters before but this was my first mun landing and I did it with YOUR SHIP! It runs super well on my old laptop too and I can run at full throttle without any explosions!

Thankyou SO MUCH. I've made Kerbin, Mun and Kerbol orbiters before but this was my first mun landing and I did it with YOUR SHIP! It runs super well on my old laptop too and I can run at full throttle without any explosions!

That really made my day. I'm glad I could help!:D

Edited by Foursh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.