[0.16 STOCK] Munitaur II

Very nice rocket. I did my first Minmus landing with it just now. I was able to back to Kerbin with the fuel in the descent stage.

One complaint is that the booster always runs out of fuel halfway through the injection burn. I have to dump it and use the descent stage. Also my parachute didn't open.

Excellent build. While I usually enjoy using mods and experimenting with new pieces, I very much enjoyed this build.

Using nothing but stock parts, this craft has the ability to; launch, reach the Mun, land (quite gracefully) on the Mun, and return to Kerbin safely.

It flies very smoothly (like the biggest, ugliest luxury car in existence), with very little assistance from the SAS. Maneuvered quiet easily to achieve both orbit and lunar approach. Easily had enough fuel to land on the Mun, and return to Kerbin with even the sloppiest of flight plans. Kudos to this design. I will incorporate elements from this design into some of my future space craft. I may dabble in using your existing delivery system to put some satellites and stations into orbit, or even a base on the moon (prolly with some slight variations to move heavier payloads).

I like this rocket a lot, as others have said the layout of the lander is nice. I've made a couple of modifications though, the most important being to add some RCS thrusters at the base of the large central fuel tank. Without them it drives like a barge in orbit. The RCS thrusters on the lander can't really manoeuvre the ship accurately for stuff like change orbital inclination if the big tank is still attached, adding another set on the bottom of the tank solves the problem. I also tweaked the staging a little bit, just minor stuff like having the clamps release at the same time the engines fire and making sure all engines are firing during the climb to orbit.

This is a excellent lander. I'm now going to put the Armstrong memorial plate on it and land it on the Mun.

This is the plate: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/18197-0-16-Neil-Armstrong-Memorial-Plaque

Thanks for sharing your craft. :)

Edit: Ok I've made it perfectly with this ship. It's one of the most stable crafts I've used. Perfect for vertical landings. :D

In memorial of Neil Armstrong I present you: http://nl.tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=xDroBU9Q%2BPQtTnVC08g66oh4l5k2TGxc

Edited by Blinkin
Updated with my memorial screen shots

Heh. Was hoping for some MechJeb help with this ones. For some reason, when one of the stages decouples, it likes to smash the engine used for orbital operations. :( Meaning no engine, but the rest of the ship seems fine oddly enough, at least until it crashes into the surface.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.