Kerbol system coverage tracking (kerbals: where and how many)

1. Map of every relevant situation where kerbals can be permanently stationed. Shows number of kerbals there.
  2. Include goals. Station N kerbals in X situation => Get reward. Could be contracts, but I feel its better to let the player decide what order to do things (stationbuilding contracts already exist anyways).
  3. Award reputation for stationed kerbals (could be a bonus based on amount of currently stationed kerbals, so it goes away when the kerbals do).
  4. For harder difficulties, if a stationed kerbal doesnt have commnet access, incur high temporary reputation penalty (goes away when access to internets fixed for the poor kerbals). High because its a rare circumstance and guaranteed to go away when you deal with the issue, which shouldnt be too difficult. Could be hundreds of rep.
  5. Add new tourist+ / citizen type kerbal, fixed cost or free (or even give you funds), who you can fill your stations (and the system) with. Unlike the current ones which just get more expensive. Limited EVA would be nice (maybe no jetpack, or less fuel).
  6. Update stationbuilding contracts to require them be actually filled with these kerbals.
  7. Add larger, more specific, systemfilling goals as contracts, such as "have this many kerbals living on every moon of that planet". Basically contracts that dictate the order in which you should fill the system, maybe with deadline, instead of you doing it in whatever order/timeline you feel like.
  8. Add contracts to move the kerbal citizens from one station to another, since now you are guaranteed that kerbals will actually be present on stations instead of them all being empty.

Now, this would make stations feel less 'forced'. I feel like something like this (just tracking kerbals across the system and tying that to some rewards), is the minimal solution, and kind of necessary (unless a more complicated solution is preferred).

Later on, it would be nice if reaching a certain kerbal population somewhere would let you do something like set up a small space center there (like a fixed location per planet, where you can build a mini-KSC if you have enough kerbals, fuel, electricity on that planet)

Contracts could prefer bodies where you already have many kerbals, to a certain point, so every playthrough naturally gets a different set of focus points. Assuming the player plays along (people can always go against the flow, send kerbals elsewhere, and force the contract systems biases to shift)

I support this idea, very well thought out.

Would definitely give more incentive to actually crew stations and keep them in radio contact with Kerbin. (I always found it kind of silly that Kerbal piloted ships don't need antennas or comnet access in some capacity, I mean...weren't the real astronauts in constant communication with NASA back here on Earth?

That said, I'm not too confident SQUAD will ever add this, could always be a mod though? Sounds like something that could be doable within the framework of the contract configurator possibly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.