Hey everyone

so I have been playing KSP for quite a while " since it's been on steam" and I want to try some mods out since it looks a lot easier and more fun with them installed. Now at this point in time I have absolutely no clue on how I am supposed to install it yet alone make it work. I purchased the game on steam if that helps at all, and the game is on my C drive along with all the other games.

now I am not a computer savvy person, so if you could please explain to me how to due this like your talking to a 6 year old it would be much appreciated.

thank you

First thing I'd recommend is to go into your Steam folder and make a copy of the entire Kerbal Space Program somewhere else on your computer. Use that new copy as the version you mod. When KSP updates, Steam will automatically update its version of the game but quite often mods you might have installed will not be compatible with the new version and may even prevent the game from running. By only modding a separate copy you can reduce the risk of this happening to you. :)

Second piece of advice. Start slowly. Install only a few mods at a time and resist the urge to try everything at once. There are a lot of shiny treats on offer but moderation (at least at first) is a good thing.

Third - the simplest way for someone new to modding KSP to install mods is using CKAN - it's a pretty decent mod manager tool that will usually make installing mods easy (not that installing mods manually is difficult in KSP and is the route that I would suggest for the more experienced but CKAN makes it just a few button clicks).

As to what mods to install - well that depends what you are looking for in your game. More challenge? More pretty parts to play with? New worlds? Better graphics? Tools to help build better/more efficient rockets? etc.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

Make sure it is going into the game data and only the folder Mechjeb2. I think I have a vid on it hold on  this is for window 7 but it has not changed much there are also ones on merging. merging small reusable parts to others. helps in build larger rockets. just make it one time and merge it to the part you need just remember the root part now the root part is movable at start of game it was not. Mecjeb is a great mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.