ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

4 hours ago, Space_Coyote said:

And thus the end of the era.. RIP Delta Series of Rockets.. You 've done your job.. Time to retire... (Just don't destroy the BP's will ya? we might need them again one day..)

Blueprints don't matter as much as tooling, and I'm fairly sure the tooling is all gone.

Rest in peace to my favorite rocket of all time... "the most metal of all rockets", and to also (in my opinion) the coolest launch system family ever developed.

Delta IV soared into the sky one final time yesterday and brought to a fitting end the Delta legacy dating back more than 60 years, delivering hundreds of payloads on time and on target, and assuring access to space for the U.S. Air Force/U.S. Space Force, NASA, and Commercial customers... (yeah, yeah, i know, it's been a bit for that one, with the last one being W5 in 2002...) :)  

But still- Delta 386/L-70 was one to remember... and one that will never be forgotten in my mind. I've seen many Delta IV (And Delta II) launches dating back to when I first got into spaceflight as a young kid around the time of EFT-1, and the Delta legacy will live on for many people, including me... and in the hardware itself.

While Delta may be gone, the technology lives on in Vulcan- the best of both the dependable Atlas and Delta families. I personally can't wait to see what the future holds. 

So for the last time... GO DELTA! GO L-70! GO TEAM!

Edited by CollectingSP

7 hours ago, tater said:

Sorry for your loss.

Can’t tell if that’s sarcasm but whatev lmao

Yeah, I know. Expendables suck, ULA sucks, SpaceX is the future yadda yadda yadda…

There’s nothing wrong with being a fan of beefy (albeit expensive) expendables. Just like there’s nothing wrong with liking New Glenn, or Starship, or any rocket. SpaceX’s stuff is still cool to me too, and yes, it is the future. There’s no need for Delta IV anymore, it’s too expensive and there’s better vehicles- that’s why it’s retiring (obviously.) 

Imo DIVH is still cool regardless. :) 

Edited by CollectingSP

11 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

What's not to love about a rocket that SETS ITSELF ON FIRE just before it launches?

Exactly! Gotta love that Hydrogen-rich start!

Edited by CollectingSP

The guys making the Delta IV had to exert so much mental fortitude to resist calling it "Phoenix" after its pyromaniac tendencies, so that the superior joke of there being a Delta V could happen someday, only for there to never be a Delta V.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tater said:

I live in UTC+3 so I am in bed.  But I wish good luck to Starliner and watch the video on next day.

I have used that all interesting tech things happens in night time and all interesting astronomical phenomena are behind clouds or happen in summertime when is no dark here.  SpaceX seems to break unwritten rule every now because I saw the first falcon Heavy and several Starship tests in live stream.

I do not know if SpaceX prefer early morning launches (when they can set launch time by themselves, for example in test missions) for some technical or practical reason and many other operators prefer evening launches.