Hyperjump System: Work in Progress, Models wanted, Demo Attached

TheRoland

Hyperjump System: Jumps and Hyperspace Network

Do you hear that sound? That's the sound of science fiction!

Tired of silly reaction rockets? Want to explore new worlds with a minimum of fuel? Ion engines and solar sails too slow for your taste? Thanks to the latest advances in Kerbal science fiction, now there's an alternative. Almost!

This plugin, a shameless hack on Zorkinian's Orbital Construction mod, dispenses with the troublesome bounds of realism and resource management, and through the magic of “hyperspaceâ€Â, gives you the ability to teleport (or “jumpâ€Â) yourself around the solar system.

It's almost code-complete, and a working version is attached (GPL, as required by Zorkinian and Evolution's original). (GIT link below)

What does this give me?

This plugin gives you two new parts:

1. Hyperjump Drive: This drive, which operates on the scientific principle of “magicâ€Â, have two wondrous functions.

First, this drive can jump locally up to 70km to any other vessel which mounts a Hyperspace Endpoint (distance subject to change).

Second, if you're already near an Endpoint, it allows you to “tunnel†to any other endpoint, no matter how far away!

2. Hyperspace Endpoints: When placed on a vessel, this gives allows future travelers to “target†your vessel. As described above, it also allows any nearby Drives to “tunnel†to any other endpoint.

Vessels can have both a Hyperjump Drive and an Endpoint, but a vessel can't use its own Endpoint to do long-range “tunnel†jumps, because I say so. Clearly, magic doesn't work that way.

So how do I use this?

One might put ships with Endpoints in Kerbal and Munar orbit, then use a Hyperjump Drive-enabled ship to jump between them. This does mean you have to somehow get to Munar or Minimus orbit before you can jump there.

Can I help?

I really, really need help with art: two models, two textures, two part-configs. There are only two parts, but I have less than zero artistic talent. I'd really love for someone to contribute models, textures, even complete parts. I have basically no conception of what things should look like, so if you're interested, feel free to be creative. Please don't steal from existing Sci-Fi, though.

Can I try it now?

Yes. It's still a work-in-progress, but it does work, and version 0.1 is attached. Notice the placeholder parts by Evolution, hence why I need help!

But I explode when I do X, where X is:

1. Jump from the ground.

2. Jump to an endpoint that already has ships all around it.

3. ??????

4. Profit.

Don't do X, then. I'll probably lock-out jumps that are likely to make you explode, eventually. For now, they're allowed.

But I explode for no reason!

I'll fix that (and exploding when you X), but exploding for no reason is very Kerbal, isn't it?

I have suggestions, complaints, found bugs, etc, etc!

Post them!

What are you still working on?

1. Better GUI

2. Better particle effects.

3. Drive lock-out when low or likely to explode.

4. ???????

5. Really would love help with models.

Latest version now posted HERE.

Edited by TheRoland
arggg attachments

Challenge Accepted! I'm not really interested in "hack-ish" mods (no offence) but I would love to make some sci-fi warpy models! I'll get back to you within 24 hours.

EDIT: Something came up within the last 15 minutes. Sorry, I can't help you. I suggest you watch TechnicalBen's Complete KSP Blender video, it'll help you lots.

Edited by requimrar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.