UK ISP recommendations

LukeTim

Okay, so I am moving into my own apartment, soon, and it's the first time I'm going to have to choose my own ISP.

Just interested if any fellow UK residents can recommend me a good ISP that doesn't have monthly download limits, doesn't throttle peer-to-peer connections (at least not too much), or censor my browsing (I'm looking at you, Virgin Media), and makes (fairly) good on its speed promises.

I don't want to be stuck with a terrible ISP for like a year... so this is an important decision.

I'm gonna be in Hemel Hempstead, so if anyone can make suggestions based on that then that'd be cool.

O2 has been good to me, only issue I had was with the recent network failure, and that was the only one in about four years.

I was with them for 15 months.

12 month contract + 3 rolling.

I was happy, until they kicked for been a heavy user.

Back then; it was 60GB Peak (9am -12pm) an unlimited Non-Peak.

Apparently they disliked 100+ GB Non-Peak traffic a month.. :(

Took out a 6 Month Recuring contract with.. Cant Remember.

Then moved to BT.

Infinity (Option 2)

Expensive £120 Line Rental + £30 Month (18 Month Contract)

But its 40MBits (5MBytes) unlimited (Soon 80MBits :) )

Typically 300-600GB Month, very fast dowloads, an not had a complaint from BT of my excessive usage.

I deffinitly have to recommend the service (No Cable in my area.)

Now the equipment is a little flakky, have my router crash/reset every month, 15 minutes down time. Then back online.

Edited by Seanoog

Unlimited is an absolute must... but I checked on the BT website, and apparently fibre isn't available in the area yet... but I can get High Speed DSL... roughly 15Mb.

Sky I don't really want to go for, because I know they'll keep trying to sell me their satellite TV service, but I don't want that... I don't watch TV.

So, O2 and BT are good? I'll have a look into those two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.