No Words, Just RSS

MatterBeam

Hello.

This is where I will post albums of missions, maneuvers and designs I design and fly in a custom Real Solar System install. 
To keep things clean, simple and to do things a bit differently than other mission reports, the albums will be wordless. All details will be shown through the HUD. 
There are no characters, no story or overarching objective, but I will respond to questions and engage in discuss after each report.

Report 1:

0HQGS3U.png

Y7HYA7N.png

XZoYYtd.png

hsPALaA.png

aioxYrK.png

y3dWPlo.png

I7OEpoy.png

tkUnZ1x.png

3nxCzsU.png

a0RwHC0.png

mud9foG.png

oprrSus.png

xlenTV0.png

NGFAVYD.png

niTPPbV.png

NJNAsuv.png

VMzUWVW.png

uj0GZ5q.png

Edited by MatterBeam

A very impressive crew shuttle! How well does she do during re-entry and hypersonic flight when empty? I still have to wrestle with my larger vehicles to keep them on course, particularly when they hit the thicker parts of the atmosphere.

PS: I see you're not using Real Fuels, any particular reason why? Getting a reuseable TSTO to space with the ISP of kerosene or hypergolics is pretty cool though...

PPS: Now, try putting it back down on the runway. :)

40 minutes ago, UnusualAttitude said:

A very impressive crew shuttle! How well does she do during re-entry and hypersonic flight when empty? I still have to wrestle with my larger vehicles to keep them on course, particularly when they hit the thicker parts of the atmosphere.

PS: I see you're not using Real Fuels, any particular reason why? Getting a reuseable TSTO to space with the ISP of kerosene or hypergolics is pretty cool though...

PPS: Now, try putting it back down on the runway. :)

Thanks!

The Dolphin is a joy to fly. I have Atmospheric Autopilot, so as long as the design is aerodynamically stable, there is no SAS flutter and jerky rolls and pitches to worry about. The large fuel tank is 7.5m in diameter, so in addition to the wings, it is very lightweight when empty relative to its surface area. This gives it phenomenal braking ability in the upper atmosphere and I get to descend to the lower atmosphere very gently. 
Real Fuels is a hassle I don't enjoy, so I cut it out. I have hydrolox fuels in this install too. The fuel payload is 20 tons, so it could theoretically be made much smaller. In fact, if I replace the central engine with a Mainsail and lower the payload to 2 tons, it can (and has) done SSTO missions. 

I'll try the runway...:0.0:

10 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

I hope your are gleaning enough information from the flight engineer and alarm clock readouts to understand what is happening...

Launching supplies for a station in high lunar orbit that is about to run out of snacks...? You're cutting the fast food delivery a little bit fine, aren't you?

12 hours ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Launching supplies for a station in high lunar orbit that is about to run out of snacks...? You're cutting the fast food delivery a little bit fine, aren't you?

Exactly that! Also, launching up unmanned refueling shuttles to refill the InterLunar tug once it arrives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.