[video] Melee Attack ship - dual command pod capture

katateochi

Hi fellow Kerbanaughts!!

I've built a ship I'd like to show you all. The Reaver, with claws for ripping other ships apart and two holding cells for captured command pods, it's a ship I hope some Kerbals will have nightmares about!

I've put a couple of vids up; One very short 'teaser' and a longer more detailed one which shows an attack and capture mission; capturing two command pods and then landing with them back at the launch station.

Edited by katateochi
uploaded main vid,reword

I made a ship just like that in the hopes that I could grapple the ship and do a burn to bring it out of orbit but every time I grabbed it the ship broke apart. It basically came down to only being able to hold one piece at a time no matter how delicate you were with the grappling maneuver.

Your ship looks a bit better designed though lol.

Oh wow, that's brilliant. The video made me rofl when it ripped the ship up. I need to see this attack a space station. :D

Thanks! :) I'm finishing off a vid atm which has a small space station as one of it targets. will upload it soon.

I made a ship just like that in the hopes that I could grapple the ship and do a burn to bring it out of orbit but every time I grabbed it the ship broke apart. It basically came down to only being able to hold one piece at a time no matter how delicate you were with the grappling maneuver.

Your ship looks a bit better designed though lol.

my aim was to destroy, not rescue, so I guess that worked in my favour!

Any chance for a .craft file and a list of mods used? (can see lights form bigtrak and ofc damned robotics pack)

You can certainly have the .craft file. Only thing is, this was built in 0.15 and I'm still re-building it for 0.16 (having some issues with latest DamnedR too). You can have the 0.15 craft file if you'd like and I'll definitely make the 0.16 one available when that's done.

Used quite a collection of mods. I will put a more complete list in the notes for the main vid which youtube is procrastinating over right now ( http://youtu.be/ZaWvvoIOEgg). but the main ones are;

DamnedRobotics, C7 flightpack, novapunch, Kosmos collection, Probodobodyne Construction, RocktCo soyuz Munar Inst, mechjeb.

There was also a spacestation parts pack in there somewhere, still looking for the name of that (I just got "ExPI - 0.3.0.zip").

Edited by katateochi
updated url

Speaking from experience, you probably need to re-upload the vid if it's not "processed" by now. I get this same problem with youtube and large files, it didn't upload correctly.

Yep, you are right. Just woke up to find it saying upload failed. Am trying again now. digits crossed.

I thought reavers rammed other ships not crushed...

you know, I don't think Reavers have a defined code of combat. But this ship does ram pretty well on account of the landing legs (holding cell) at the front which have a high impact tolerance.

Here is the .craft file for version 0.15. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31440&stc=1&d=1345285867

These are the main mods: DamnedRobotics, C7 flightpack, novapunch, Kosmos collection, Probodobodyne Construction, RocktCo soyuz Munar Inst, mechjeb and my fav pod; the rockbird pod.

There was also a spacestation parts pack in there somewhere, still looking for the name of that (I just got "ExPI - 0.3.0.zip").

erm I think this ship needs a small instruction manual as pretty much all available keys are bound to something which moves.

1-4 controls arm joints (labelled H1 and H2)

5-8 controls arm extensions (labelled arm_1 arm_2)

9-0 controls wrist angle (labelled claw angle)

y-u controls the claw open-shut.

/ rotates both claws together in the same direction.

: rotates just one, and ' rotates the other one. keys rotate in just one direction, can use the buttons to rotate in other directions (labelled cr1, cr2).

two other servos not bound to keys (heading and claw-dir) can be used to move the arms perpendicular to the ship (hardly ever use).

o-p controls search lights (which also form part of the second holding cell)

\-z controls other part of second holding cell. (can't be used till lower fuel tank has been jettisoned or it will explode!)

In the slightly mad final landing sequence (which I think is the best bit of the whole design) -+ controls a set of "stabilizers" (the ship lands in two separate parts, one part lands itself, while you manually land the other part upside down. It then turns into a small short range transport to ferry its captives about - wish the gorram vid would upload faster)

I will put a 0.16 craft file up when its done and a more complete mod list. I'm having some issues with the newest dammed robotics mod. It twitches!! The arms twitch violently after launch, so violently it rips the ship apart! :(

Edited by katateochi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.