Ship Disappeared Crew Dead

So I had a Apollo style mission to Ike where the CM was orbiting Duna at around 1.8 Million meters circularized with an Engineer and Scientist on board while I went off to land on Ike, now once I had landed on Ike re orbited the moon and went to leave it's SOI I noticed the CM was no longer orbiting Duna, I enabled every filter in the tracking station which didn't show anything, so I checked the astronaut complex which state that both Engineer and Scientist were KIA

Is the stated orbit just high enough for the CM to have had it's orbit adjusted by Ike's SOI to put it on a suborbital trajectory with Duna? I only did a maximum of 3 orbits around Ike so I feel it might not be the case. Although I have noticed before the predicted SOI change doesn't always show up in the map view...

Mods Used - [x] Science!, Antenna Helper, BetterBurn Time, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Gravity Turn, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Maneuver Node Evolved, MechJeb2, Module Manager, Toolbar Controller, Trajectories, Transfer Window Planer, TriggerAu Flags

On 4/2/2018 at 11:22 AM, Vichard said:

So I had a Apollo style mission to Ike where the CM was orbiting Duna at around 1.8 Million meters circularized with an Engineer and Scientist on board while I went off to land on Ike, now once I had landed on Ike re orbited the moon and went to leave it's SOI I noticed the CM was no longer orbiting Duna, I enabled every filter in the tracking station which didn't show anything, so I checked the astronaut complex which state that both Engineer and Scientist were KIA

Is the stated orbit just high enough for the CM to have had it's orbit adjusted by Ike's SOI to put it on a suborbital trajectory with Duna? I only did a maximum of 3 orbits around Ike so I feel it might not be the case. Although I have noticed before the predicted SOI change doesn't always show up in the map view...

Mods Used - [x] Science!, Antenna Helper, BetterBurn Time, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Gravity Turn, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Maneuver Node Evolved, MechJeb2, Module Manager, Toolbar Controller, Trajectories, Transfer Window Planer, TriggerAu Flags

did you update any mods between landing and returning to orbit?  Sometimes updates can break ships that are using that mod's parts.  It is possible it got captured by Ike, but AFAIK that's more likely to fling it out of Dunan orbit, rather then put it into a sub-orbital.  It's possible it got eaten by a space kraken.

No mods were updated, it all happened in the same game session.  I'm convinced Ike did pull it in, to check this I set the orbit again roughly the same as before which showed no intercept, then I created a maneuver node but did not adjust it what so ever, moving it around the orbit path showed an Ike encounter even thought the maneuver was 0.0m/s. This is not the first time the game has failed to show an Ike encounter for me personally and I've also witnessed it on another persons steam.

I had a ship get tossed out of Duna orbit by - I assume - Ike.  Like you, I wasn't showing any Ike intercept, but a few in-game days later - while planning another mission to Duna - I noticed the ship in solar orbit near Duna.  Happily it was a NERV-powered vessel which had already refueled around Duna, so I ended up just getting the crew  home earlier than expected rather than getting killed.   I've also had Tylo eat a probe orbiting Jool that never showed an SoI change, just disappeared one day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.