.16 Kerbin system planetary explorers: stock parts

Hi guys,

I figured I would throw this design to see what the community thinks of it! It can go to the mun or Minimus, and back. If you're fuel-efficient you may even be able to land on Minimus, then stop by the mun on the way back!

I dub'd it James May 1. (for those of you who get the joke!)

Opflx.jpg

YhorX.jpg

http://www./?s3b54m4u7zdkgq9

James May 2 is in development: attempting to create lighter second stage to attach 4th heavy lifter stage (at which point it will be dubbed Jeremy Clarkson 4, the first 3 never flew lol).

Spoiler:

OnrRO.jpg

Nb5Xl.jpg

Now wait a minute, you can't have that going too fast. It wouldn't be right to name it after Captain Slow at that point! :D

Make a hyper-sonic plane that can achieve orbit, go to the Mun or Minmus, and then come back and land (hopefully on the runway). If it can do all that, I think it would be worthy of being named... The Stig! :D

Nicely made rockets. I wish I had the patience and forethought to design something like this.

Any idea how much is his could loft to mun? I am trying to put 3-4 Crew tanks/half size new tanks,arranged around a core of either 3x3 or 4x1-ish normal old tanks with engines and landing gear on mun with a single person pod atop a wee tank and engine and decoupler but I can't get the damn thing lofted. This looks like what I have been trying to make but a) it looks like it works and B) isn't just a lopsided mass if engines and tanks in a spiderweb of struts.

Edited by Oddbin

The Richard Hammond rocket has to be half the size, you know.

Well played! And I do think Captain Slow could have a massively powerful rocket named after him after he hit the top speed (or nearly) in the Veyron.

Jeremy Clarkson approves of this rocket because it has... POWWAAAR

I think for Jezza to approve, it would quite literally have to be the most powerful rocket... *intense stare* in the world!

Nicely made rockets. I wish I had the patience and forethought to design something like this.

Any idea how much is his could loft to mun? I am trying to put 3-4 Crew tanks/half size new tanks,arranged around a core of either 3x3 or 4x1-ish normal old tanks with engines and landing gear on mun with a single person pod atop a wee tank and engine and decoupler but I can't get the damn thing lofted. This looks like what I have been trying to make but a) it looks like it works and B) isn't just a lopsided mass if engines and tanks in a spiderweb of struts.

Hey! Sorry for delayed responce, school has me busy. It should be able to loft a slightly larger lander to the mun, as it can reach minimus and back. However I would be more concerned structurally than fuel-wise. I had to add a lot of reinforcement to keep the rocket from snapping at the release points: they really need to strengthen the stock de-coulpers.

Hey! Sorry for delayed responce, school has me busy. It should be able to loft a slightly larger lander to the mun, as it can reach minimus and back. However I would be more concerned structurally than fuel-wise. I had to add a lot of reinforcement to keep the rocket from snapping at the release points: they really need to strengthen the stock de-coulpers.

You're not kidding. It definitely has the power but I just can't get it to fly without it either cartwheeling or having it accordion itself into a flat pack version of itself.

Once you reach the edge of the lower atmosphere (insert technical name here), throttle back to 75 or 70% :)

You're not kidding. It definitely has the power but I just can't get it to fly without it either cartwheeling or having it accordion itself into a flat pack version of itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.