Simple On-Board Computer

ummwut

So, a while ago I started coding a small 16-bit virtual computer plugin for KSP. Everything was going great. Then, the Fire Nation attacked.

Just kidding, I actually got stuck on interfacing hardware with it. Not interfacing with the ship, exactly, but maybe a class that would report keystrokes much like a keyboard would, and a class that would manage the GUI much like a monitor would. Unfortunately, I don't know how to really do GUI stuff or catch keystrokes that aren't intended for the VM, so I'm stuck.

Here's the link to my GitHub where I uploaded my code so far: http://github.com/ummwut/KSP-16bit-onboard.

Now, need an outside perspective on this. Help me, KSP forums, you're my only hope!

An on screen keyboard? That's a little too cumbersome an interface, especially since this is an on-board computer. Everyone should (rightfully so) expect to simply bring up the screen, type stuff, then minimize the screen and control the ship again.

Or am I expecting too much from what I suspect I can do, given the things I've seen from other plugins?

Ummwut, if possible i'd construct it so that you can treat folders as peripherals with which you can load routines from. ie: Ksp/PluginData/OBC/Drive1/orbit.txt, and also have a console for calling said routines.

Resource wise I would look at http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Module_code_examples and that mechjeb source file I posted early for starting points for GUI/FlyByWire control...

@hyratel: the idea is to either go with a preloaded program and let it pilot for you, pilot yourself and load programs when not piloting (like in orbit, traveling between bodies, or landed), or pilot with a preloaded program. No need to switch between the console and piloting, thats just making it hard on yourself.

@domox: if i could figure out how to load peripherals like it KSP does with DLLs, id have a DLL loader too. programs to preload would need to be in .BIN files. thanks for the link, btw.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.