Warm restart crash after graphics card update

Hi all,

just got my Asus GTX1080 and I was stoked to test out KSP with his new gear. Of course, I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia right away.

But (sad trumpet).

The game systematically crashes badly during load screen, about halfway through the progress bar. When I say "crashes badly", I mean it instantly cuts power to the motherboard and restarts after a few seconds. From the POST screen.

Then I downloaded the latest game version from KSP's website (version ID in the launcher is 2152), and things remain the exact same. I changed the graphics settings to "Minimum", just to see if a rewrite of the config file would make things better, but it doesn't.

Any idea what's going on?

PS: I'm playing vanilla KSP. I do have Avast anti-virus on at all times, although in gaming "silent" mode.

Edited by Kebral
post-scriptum

Ahem... okay well, sorry but I just answered my own question. Deactivating Avast did the trick. But I believe it could still be useful to those who get into the same sort of trouble, because it isn't intuitive that Avast should make your computer cold restart because of some game incompatibility. At least it's my opinion. And how could updating graphics hardware cause such a weird change in behavior? Whatever. My KSP works!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.